• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CMYK output in Flexi 7.5

VonsGraphix

:help: Hi...just joined Signs101 yesterday...love the site.....my first question here.......i have been using Flexi 7.5 for awhile now and i have to send my business card design to a local printer for printing....i designed it in flexi 7.5 and here are the requirements from the printer below....i understand it all perfectly except for the part where he needs the artwork as CMYK color mode...after i am finished tweaking the design in Flexi, how do i convert it in Flexi into CMYK format before i send it to him? do i do this when i export the artwork as JPEG?...what method will allow me to get him the best artwork for offset printing? TIFF, PDF, EPS or JPEG?.... any help will be greatly appreciated....

In regards to offset printing, the following are my requirements:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
1)Either TIFF, PDF, EPS, or JPEG File format<o:p></o:p>
2)300dpi High File Resolution<o:p></o:p>
3)CMYK File Color Mode<o:p></o:p>
4)¼ bleed all around the artwork ( where 1/8 is for image and the other 1/8 is for text safety)<o:p></o:p>
5)A Master Sheet ( A Master Sheet is basically a Purchase Order in the form<o:p></o:p>
of an email that states the size(s) , quantity , coating , and special notes on bindery.<o:p></o:p>
******note: file(s) embedded must be in the email [as a jpeg] as well as attached [as a JPEG CMYK color mode])<o:p></o:p> as

Last edited:

Bigdawg

Just Me
We always preferred a pdf, tif or eps. Jpgs were not our file format of choice. I'm not familiar with Flexi's export (don't use it) but if you export as a tif, it becomes a pure image (text and all) as far as the printer is concerned and there is no font conflicts/problems. In an eps or pdf there is that possibility - if you do use one of these make sure the fonts are embedded. I have noticed if you use any LHF fonts in a pdf they will not embed, so keep that in mind...

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Just convert all text to outlines to eliminate any and all font file conflicts.

A PDF is usually the optimum choice, but Flexi doesn't publish PDFs to my knowledge. Failing that, an EPS file would be the next choice. These two formats preserve vectors as vectors, a Good Thing. Way down there in last place is a tif or any other bitmap format. Exporting as a bitmap file converts all of your nice crisp well defined vector objects into indeterminate bitmaps. Regardless of resolution, it's usually considered Bad Form, especially with text. Unless you absolutely positively have no other choice, avoid this rather dubious option.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The best way to insure that you end up with what you expect is to bring the export out of Flexi and into an industry standard application which a printer would use. That would be Adobe Illustrator as a first choice or Adobe Photoshop as a close second choice.

It really depends on the nature of the file. If it is all vectors, then Illustrator EPS would be best. If not, then bring it into Photoshop and save it as a TIF. Either will do a good job with minimal color shift in converting to CMYK.

If you don't have either application and want a hand, you can email me the file and I'll convert it for you. Your best double check on all this would be a paper proof in your hands and the printer's. If you do so, make sure you convert all fonts to outlines.

All of our area printers prefer AI formats (usually version 8 legacy), which Flexi can do. The only common catch is to make sure that the fonts are converted to outlines (objects) AND print a color proof to take along.

Bleed, CMYK, etc. are all pre-press operations, that the print shop should be doing themselves - to ensure quality, etc. Those demands are an easy way for a printer to say: "it IS what you gave us".

AI and a color proof is all that is needed for any print shop.

VonsGraphix

thank you for all the info guys....actually the pinter is a new person that i have met only once before.....and he actually told me when i met him in person, that they only work off JPEG's saved as CMYK...that kinda struck me as odd since ive dealt with others in the industry before and have had no such request...he'd rather not take PDF, or EPS....i actually just found out that he is only a salesman FOR his boss....ive sent other printers or customers artwork as PDF, or EPS with all text converted to outlines or curves and a printout as well...just like you said.....ill open it up up in Illustrator and save it as EPS or AI......great info and thanks for the fast replies....sincerely...Chuck