• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC cutting copper

John Miller

Does anyone have experience cutting copper with a CNC? I need to cut knock-out letters in two 24"x36"x.250" plates. Copper alloy is 110. I assume an aluminum cutting bit would work but I think copper is a bit gummier.

SignEST

Aluminum , brass , bronze , copper all cut about the same unless you're doing insane quantity where speed really matters. Ballpark numbers for copper using 1/8 cutter were 16K rpm 10 plunge 55 IPM. Would recommend 4 passes if using 1/8 o flute to avoid breakage and maximize your tool life.

John Miller

This sounds like fun. Hopefully you have a mister setup going.
I'm curious, are they customer supplied pieces?
The two 24x36x.250 copper plates were bought by us. Interesting point. When I went to my supplier's web site they were $680.00 each. When I went to order them 4 days later they had increased in price to over $1100.00:eek:

SignEST

The two 24x36x.250 copper plates were bought by us. Interesting point. When I went to my supplier's web site they were $680.00 each. When I went to order them 4 days later they had increased in price to over $1100.00:eek:
I noticed one of our regular customers now has a new signature stating 'quotes are only valid for 5 days'. Weird times.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Any time you are purchasing metal off a website, you are paying too much. I would recommend trying local metal suppliers for better pricing.

John Miller

Aluminum , brass , bronze , copper all cut about the same unless you're doing insane quantity where speed really matters. Ballpark numbers for copper using 1/8 cutter were 16K rpm 10 plunge 55 IPM. Would recommend 4 passes if using 1/8 o flute to avoid breakage and maximize your tool life.
Thank you for the specific RPM and feed info. That will be a good place to start.
Any time you are purchasing metal off a website, you are paying too much. I would recommend trying local metal suppliers for better pricing.
Depends on the online vender. The one I use has a warehouse 1/2HR drive from my shop. Their prices always beat Yarde Metals where I used to buy my metal & we can pick-up saving silly delivery charges.