• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC Router/Plasma Combo Table

andy

From what I have been told Plasma might not give you the edge quality you need for sign work.

What type of metal are you looking to cut? Is there any particular reason whay you need Plasma as an option?

I looked at some plasma systems to stand alongside the routing we do- compared to the results of a laser I decided that a plasma wasn't suited to what I'd like to make.

Liquid GraphX

Plasma is great but you have to run it in the right direction because it make what they call kerf angle from the swirl of the gasses....so one side is flat and the other side if the cut has a slight angle on it....the thicker material the more kerf angle kinda looks like this...... I/ Weter Jet is better

andy

See... I didn't know that and it explains why some of the samples I saw had an angled plane on one side.

The samples I viewed were pretty chunky and the effect was very visible.

Thanks for explaining why this effect happens

jayhawksigns

We have got a plasma attachment with our table but haven't taken the time to set it up. Some weekend I need to though, I be sure to check the direction of the cut when I go to cut something though, I wouldn't of known otherwise.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I have a plasma/router combo table and am happy with it. I use the router mostly.

Running a plasma cutter has many issues that are sometimes overlooked. You will need a large 2 stage compressor with an excellent dryer. 2 60amp 220v dedicated breakers are required (1 for the plasma cutter and one for the compressor). Plasma cutting is very messy. The metalic dust will get everywhere (including the operators lungs if not careful). Do not consider one without voltage height control. Kerf width can be controlled by tip selection. The hypertherm has fine cut tips that work great on thinner material up to 3/8".

It is a great tool if you can combine it with welding expertise in your shop. You will be amazed at the tools and projects you can fabricate.

On the router side we use porter cable variable speed routers and either exported dxf files from flexi or V-carve software. V-carve is a neat cnc software package that was only $500 and has awsome support.

Liquid GraphX

Yea if you plan to do alot of plasma cutting (which work awesome if you want to make stainless steel signs) you will need to invest in a water table. It has points that you set the material on and you can control the water level with air pressure!

jayhawksigns

We have a PracticalCNC table. Doesn't have the bells and whistles of say a Gerber, but then you don't pay for them either.

Liquid - Do you run a waterjet table? Something that I have been wanting to look into more, just haven't had time yet.