• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC Router recommendation

Simonsigns

I got a 5 x 10
I had to double check, but it was actually just over one month from order to ship date. Of course I spent another month getting electrical properly set up and the vacuum headache. Did you get the FPZ 25hp vacuum? Do you know if you can handle a 900 amp draw on three phase? This was the biggest hiccup we had, one $700 (or $1700, I forget which) breaker later and we were in business.
I ordered the 5x10 so it's a smaller vacuum I think 17.7 hp. I also bought a soft starter, not 100% sure what it does but I'm hoping it will work. Don't know forsure.

dmp

Install was a 'breeze', by that I mean once the electrician had the receptacles installed, it just plugged in. And of course after we mounted the vacuum pump outside, and cut a hole in the wall and plumbed it all up. Additionally there was the exciting effort to move the beast inside a bay door, up 2 different curbs, and then turn 90 degrees. The car dolly's all had their wheels crushed, so half of it was just dragging on the dolly wheel remnants. Ended up using 2 forklifts for 3 hours with maybe 5 guys to get it in position.
Training is almost left to the online videos, and they expect you to run enroute or vcarve, and to train on those to learn the ins and outs of cnc. I was fortunate to know what I was getting in to, I'd advise someone totally new to this side of the business to find another shop, and ask to see their workflow for such a machine.
The tech guys have been fantastic in answering questions and diagnosing issues.
Optiscout is not as streamlined as it could be, but to be fair its a primarily woodworking machine, this doesn't have a great many uses in a cabinet shop.

That's crazy, I got mine as the pandemic started to look scary, so I think orders were down. We got it within a few weeks. Have they been in contact with you as far as tamping expectations?
oh boy. We've only got one forklift, and we're only going to have like 2" clearance on the woodshop door so that'll be fun.

dmp

If I had to do it again, I'd use the forklift to drop it to the ground, then 4 or 6 low profile auto jacks to move it across the lot, and up the curb. Mine has 3 tubes making up the base, so each jack would be on either end of every tube, lifting the back and middle tubes as the front transitions the curb, land on a jack, then repeat for middle and rear. Do you have clearance vertically? I was surprised how tall the whole thing was, something like 7' before the air balancer is mounted on top.
oh didn't think about vertical clearance! well worst comes to worst we'll make a big hole and patch it up later.