• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold or Heat assist?

K2

What exactly are the benefits to a heat assist laminator compared to straight cold? Do I need Heat Assist?

I am upgrading my printer to a Roland TruVis and definitely need to get a new laminator. I'm just not sure if the heat assist is needed or not. We have a cold laminator now and it does "ok" but it definitely does not give me that crystal clear cover I am looking for. Will the heat assist give that to me? Things I will be using it for is vehicle wraps, decal, printed signs and etc. Any explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks

ProColorGraphics

Th heat assist will help with the "silver ink" compare to a cold laminator. Although it won't be perfect. I would definitely get one again. Look at the US Tech laminators. You can't go wrong for the money. I got mine from www.bestdgi.com. Dave there was great to work with!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Yes, a heat-assisted laminator is exactly what you are looking for to help you get the look you are talking about. (silvering is what you are seeing now) I REALLY recommend GFP laminators; we have the 463TH here and it is a workhorse and very simple to web up and run roll-to-roll.

TylerVaden

Heat assist is definitely the way to go if absolute clarity is a must. The heat will allow the laminate to activate more quickly and will also help to prevent any silvering from occurring. Below are links to some heat assist laminators that LexJet provides.

http://www.lexjet.com/smartfilteritem.aspx?producttypeid=9&ff_8=36

I would personally suggest looking at Royal Sovereign. They have great technical support and when you purchase the equipment from us it comes with free onsite training and installation.

Hope this helps!

a77

I don't think I've ever seen silvering that doesn't go away on its own, with time. It seems like the laminate adhesive always wants to wet out, and will do it within 24-48 hours. Is there silvering that you see that never goes away?
We have heat assist, but rarely use it.

K2

I ended up going getting the heat assist and we picked it up yesterday. Wow, major difference compared to our old laminator. It just lays so much cleaner and clearer.

Thanks for the help!

mameighan

I ended up going getting the heat assist and we picked it up yesterday. Wow, major difference compared to our old laminator. It just lays so much cleaner and clearer.

Thanks for the help!
Which laminator did you end up buying?