• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold vs Hot Wraps

Futura Signs

So was talking with my supplier about the best way / vinyl for wraps when bumbers will need to be covered. i talked about heat and said if any heat was used it would void the "Warranty" on the vinyl.

That being said it's suggestive that it should be done cold....

How many wrappers don't use a torch or heat gun? lol

Anyhow... i figured id ask the sign community on this.

SSG_SIGNS

If it voids the warranty why do they all tell you how hot to get the vinyl to so you can do compound curves, I have had oracal, 3M & Arlon all tell me the temperatures so go figure.

GZ SIGN DESIGNS

Never heard of that .We've had both the 3m & Avery rep & tech here, and both said heat is important to wrapping complex curves .

Flame

So was talking with my supplier about the best way / vinyl for wraps when bumbers will need to be covered. i talked about heat and said if any heat was used it would void the "Warranty" on the vinyl.

That being said it's suggestive that it should be done cold....

How many wrappers don't use a torch or heat gun? lol

Anyhow... i figured id ask the sign community on this.

Your supplier was BSing you... sorry. Heat is essential to wrapping around any curve, I wouldn't take on any form of wrap job if I couldn't use heat... not even a trailer with flat sides...

Futura Signs

The suppliers reply to that was that they warranty Xmil vinyl not Distorted Xmil vinyl.... and proceed on to tellign me that heat destroy the molecular stucture of the vinyl and is therefore not Xmil anymore and is not warrantied anymore.... and i chuckles and said you want me to do this with no heat.... he said yes.im not going to name the supplie but its a big one.

Futura Signs

all i can say is yes his explanation makes sens... but it is a BS anwser you can't wrap with no heat.

That being said... im still looking for an awser to whats the best type of vinyl / laminate that will conform best. im not too worried about repositioning, just the conforming.

Flame

I think we would all get a good chuckle and appreciate knowing who this supplier is. This I have to hear.... lol.

Futura Signs

man i can't spell sorry.

Im still looking for good vinyl / laminate for my application as well ;)
this post is not to bash my supplier... there ok othersiwe. but that was a Salesman anwser all the way.

dolce05

yea wrap with no heat...lol...thats why post heating is a must to insure a warranty. Most suppliers and reps are good for one thing and thats getting you the material. Talk directly to 3M or Avery or if its a straight up installation question, talk to someone who has an impressive portfolio who's been in the trenches and you'll get the right answer. The only thing i can think of is if you over heat to the point where the vinyl has extreme adhesion failure it would be then your warranty is VOID.

i will leave you with...when installing apply heat, then more heat...then when done...heat again!