• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold weather barricade install

rfulford

I have a request to install a large adhesive vinyl barricade wrap in Indiana early next week. The weather forecast is for a high of 40º F. We usually do not install anything when the temperature is lower than 60º F which is not hard to do here in Florida. I am wondering how some of the Northern members cope with cold weather and adhesive vinyl. Do you avoid it completely or do you have tricks to compensate for the temperature?

2B

I have a request to install a large adhesive vinyl barricade wrap in Indiana early next week. The weather forecast is for a high of 40º F. We usually do not install anything when the temperature is lower than 60º F which is not hard to do here in Florida. I am wondering how some of the Northern members cope with cold weather and adhesive vinyl. Do you avoid it completely or do you have tricks to compensate for the temperature?

Not a NE member but we use either RAPID TAC or RAPID TAC II, did a few installs with the temp (last winter) in the teens no issues with the vinyl. the installers......... different story :banghead:

FS-Keith

how big, what is the baricade made of? is this a mall? what type of vinyl? You prob shouldnt have much trouble

rfulford

The graphic is approximately 110'x8'. We will be using General Formulations 201 HTAP applied to a construction barricade for a new restaurant (not in a mall).

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Heat and rollepro all edges and seams at a minimum. If your worried or like to sleep at night bring a stapler and staple the perimeter or, banner tape the perimeter.

Even high tack vinyl can trouble sticking to painted barricades in ideal weather conditions. (poor or wrong paint, bad paint job, too much texture, barricade seams protrude...) If you cut the seams you will need to staple them as well.

CentralSigns

Above 32 degrees piece of cake below 0 degrees sketchily. Use rapid tac 2 if you must, but may take a bit to dry at 40 degrees

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand why you guys are suggesting rapid tac on a barricade (painted wood) at any temperature?

MontereySigns

That's a pretty good size barricade. You're going to commit some time and materials to get this done, so it's good you're taking precautions to make sure it's done right the first time.

You may consider renting a space heater for this install. If it's outdoors, you can get a propane heater. Look for one where you can focus the heat on your immediate and upcoming work area. You'll work faster and have better assurance the vinyl will stick without lifting.

-Bud

MikePro

bring a heat gun to post heat the perimeter, if anything, but the only isues i've ever had with cold weather installs came at sub-freezing temperatures, where my sheet of digital print would snap apart in my hands when a strong wind came thru... of which I still managed to piece back together to complete the project.

FS-Keith

That's a pretty good size barricade. You're going to commit some time and materials to get this done, so it's good you're taking precautions to make sure it's done right the first time.

You may consider renting a space heater for this install. If it's outdoors, you can get a propane heater. Look for one where you can focus the heat on your immediate and upcoming work area. You'll work faster and have better assurance the vinyl will stick without lifting.

-Bud

unless he puts up a tarp or something to keep heat in thats just pissing in the wind.

Still dont know what material its going on, but as long as the vinyl sticks to it this sounds easy only being 8' tall. Dress in layers, and the taple idea and torch is a good idea to have on hand

rfulford

Update

Due to a short time frame and the cost of flying installers out for this job. The client has opted for banner vinyl with to be screwed to the barricade by the carpenters. Pretty tacky but simple. Thanks for the great information as always guys.