• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold-weather silicone for exterior Gemini/stud installs?

Billct2

A good alternative is to mount the letters on rails painted to match the wall. Then it can be mounted with the screws used to assemble those wall

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I personally wouldn't give them any install advice if they insist on installing it themselves.

Metal sucks trying to get studs through. If you drill the "correct" size hole, the studs will bind and sometimes you won't be able to get them in all the way....and it can be an absolute bear to get back out. They're going to be over their heads trying to install pieces that large and heavy.

This is like asking an electrician to just bring you parts and then asking him to explain how to work with electrical because you're too cheap to pay him.

I totally get what you're saying, and I agree with you. Ironically we did also bid on install and they decided to self-perform.....but I'm still trying to be helpful where I can.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Probably because they think it's "just sticking letters on the wall". Once they drill their holes and get one or more studs hung up and they wont go any further into the holes and they can't pull them out of the holes, they'll be wishing they had paid someone to install them. Just be careful how much time you spend trying to be helpful.

When I used to offer dimensional letters turnkey (manufacture (via vendor) and install), I dealt with one of the cheapest individuals I've ever met. I sent art showing 3/8" acrylic and he asked if we could use thinner acrylic 1/8" acrylic to cut costs. He asked if he could pick the letters up from the vendor and spray paint them himself to cut costs then bring them to the site and help me install them. He had a handful of other odd requests including borrowing a ladder from me (I had quoted using a lift due to the height). I said no to all of that and we finally agreed that I would simply provide the letters and he would handle the install. I would have bet a weeks pay that he was going to call and ask how to install them. Sure enough, he called a couple of days later. The building was brick and he didn't have a clue where to start. He asked "what's the best way to install these?" I had wasted enough time with him already, so I told him I would email him very detailed written instructions for $300. This was a few years ago. I've driven by the place and the letters were never installed. He probably couldn't get anyone to work with him and I wouldn't doubt if he went out of business before he really even got started. Or maybe he moved and put them up somewhere else.