• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color inconsistency...Ink quality or rgb print

benski

Hello just wondering which would be a more probable cause of color shifting during very large printing eg. apparel printing.
Low quality ink or printing in RGB? Mutoh RJ900X.

I cannot achieve certain colors printing CMYK but little worried to try RGB again as it gave me unstable colors in the past. I switched to Kiian ink since but now not sure what corrected my issue the new Ink or only printing in CMYK. THanks

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Your color space should not have anything to do with the consistency of the colors. I would suspect either ink or possible ink flow issues with the printer itself. Usually when colors change during printing it's a damper issue. But if you changed inks and the problem went away, that is more likely to have fixed the issue rather than printing in CMYK or RGB.

benski

Your color space should not have anything to do with the consistency of the colors. I would suspect either ink or possible ink flow issues with the printer itself. Usually when colors change during printing it's a damper issue. But if you changed inks and the problem went away, that is more likely to have fixed the issue rather than printing in CMYK or RGB.

Thanks for your reply. Makes sense. I def need damper replacement done more frequently.
May I ask you one more question? PDF is correct format? CMYK? 150DPI? Thanks!!

ikarasu

I don't do sublimation... Although I want to and will be soon.

I thought one of the main problems with sublimation is color consistancy? I know hps. New sublimation is a supposed game changer because of its apparently consistant color... Or so they say.

Again... I don't do sublimation or know much about it, just what Ive read...so I may be way off base. Im converting an epson 9800 into sublimation for fun... I was expecting to have unstable colors, but it'd be a nice surprise if it wasn't!

4DPB

We always compare the transfer paper before & after. Humidity, pressure and other factors have a lot to do with color output. Do you have color inconsistencies on the transfer paper?

Andy_warp

With good process control dye sub is about the most consistent color you can get!

I would chock this up to a digital workfow issue due to the fact your asking about which colorspace and resolution to save your pdfs.

A few things I do to control the print environment:

-Wrap sublimation paper in shrink wrap immediately. It's made to sponge up moisture (ink) but in humid conditions it grabs all the moisture in the air.
-Don't run on the fastest mode or smallest number of passes. While it's tempting, it can exploit environmental issues such as humidity.
-ALWAYS build files the same way...always send to rip the same way. And for the love of all things holy...avoid global color corrections.

Just willy nilly switching ink can be problematic too!