• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color Matching

cartoad

This is becoming a larger issue. We currently have a color swatch printed out on banner and vinyl material that we reference to, and have the client say what color they want then design with that color. We do not have the monitor calibrated to it so we have to be sure of the color that will print.

More frequently now we are getting clients with wanting an exact match to something they have or see (advertisements. ect.) So we get out the Pantone chart, and our printed chart, find a match or close to it, this is time consuming and not a very efficient use of time.

I would like a device that I can measure the new color with and with a reasonable degree of accuracy print the color the first time? Am I asking for too much?

Does anyone have a suggestion for this?
and if so what are you doing,
thanks

WildWestDesigns

This is becoming a larger issue. We currently have a color swatch printed out on banner and vinyl material that we reference to, and have the client say what color they want then design with that color. We do not have the monitor calibrated to it so we have to be sure of the color that will print.

More frequently now we are getting clients with wanting an exact match to something they have or see (advertisements. ect.) So we get out the Pantone chart, and our printed chart, find a match or close to it, this is time consuming and not a very efficient use of time.

I would like a device that I can measure the new color with and with a reasonable degree of accuracy print the color the first time? Am I asking for too much?

thanks

I know my mom uses something that helps calibrate her monitors for her work in Photoshop. I won't be able to find out what that is til she get's back in town and I can't speak to the accuracy of what she has tried either.

Doing exact matches is going to be a pain to try to do. Too many variables. Might get it damn close, might not.

Thankfully, it's not an issue that I've had to worry about like it seems to be with what you have to deal with.

Locals Find!

What your asking for makes me think of the little camera eye they use at the paint stores. I would try to find out who manufactures those and contact them to see if they have an option for what your trying to accomplish.

AUTO-FX

If you purchase your equipment and or supplies from one of the major players,like advantage, grimco, fellers, etc you can have them come in and calibrate your monitor to your printer. There is lower end equipment you can buy to do it yourself, but if your really serious , have some one come in and do it and maybe have them go over your profiles too.

heyskull

Cartoad
Please please state to these new clients wanting fancy matches to colours that you are using a digital printer and with only being able to use Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black, you can simulate a colour but you will not be able to match it perfectly!

I had a client recently who suppplied their own artwork printer ready as they are a large stationery printers themselves. And even they questioned the match after it was printed, only to realise that someone had messed up the calibration on their computers monitor!
They reckon they profile monitors at least once a month!

SC

astro8

I use a Spectrolino spectophotometer to match colours from almost anything...easy.

Same thing can be done with an i1, Barbieri etc.

Colour accuracy on output depends on what inkset you're running of course.

Fellers has something called the ColorCue 2...it's a handheld device that scans the color and brings up the correct pms color code or cmyk color code...it has both pms and cmyk libraries on it.

Rooster

You're talking about color management. The device you need is a spectrophotometer. You'll need a colorimeter to measure the monitors. Then you need software to create profiles and somebody who knows how to put all that into play.

It's not as complicated as it sounds, but can be a little pricey in up front costs. You'll make it back quick in material savings and happier customers.

thanks

PM sent.