• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color Matching

ElJay

I'm sure this has been talked about here many times, but....How do you guys do it? Generally, to save time, materials and my sanity I'll print out a Pantone color chart and an RGB color chart (clean, sharp, vector-based .eps files I found on the web.) on whatever printer will be used and try to find a close enough match for the sample the customer provides. This is fine in most cases but not for the occassional super fussy ones. I know I can mess around with Photoshop/Illustrator settings, ink profiles, spot color replacements in the RIP (which I'm not all that familiar with), etc. and print out about a million color samples while trying to hit a particular red or blue but it's such a time consuming headache. Is there a better way?

Sticky Signs

I find a color that's close and make a 1"x1" box with that color in it. I put another box beside it with the same fill only this time I make some adjustment. I repeat the process until I feel I have enough swatches to hit the color I'm looking for. I also number each box so that they're easier to identify. I print off the boxes and compare them to my target color. Sometimes I get lucky and hit it on the first try. If not, I pick the color that's closest to my target and start the process over again until I get the right combination.

Bly

This is why you should invest in the ability to profile your own media for the printers in your shop.

Once you have your media profiled you simply

Open > Preflight > Print.

Time and media saved = priceless.