• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colorado 1650 and Colorado M5W

KEYSER SOZE

Hello all,

Question for anyone running a Colorado 1650 and a Colorado M5W....

We've been running 2x Canon Colorado 1650s for over 4 years now, very happy with the product and Canon's support.
As a background wholesale supplier we've always had at least 2 identical printers, it used to be Seiko/Oki, and Mimaki before that.
It's a redundancy thing, we have to be able to print the same jobs on either printer at short notice.

The backlit mode on the 1650s illuminates beautifully, but of course the prints are way too dark during the day.
Which brings us to the M5W.

I'd really like to get the M5W specifically for 3 layer day/night printing, and as a backup for the 1650.
But I don't need (or have room for) 3 printers.

So the question is - Can I get near as identical prints on the M5W to the 1650 ?
The CMYK inks are identical, but the M5W heads are new.
Canon can't give me an answer if it's do-able.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
I have both of those machines side by side.
I can do some samples if you want to send me material since I don't have an backlit specific media.
I would say you'd have to profile on your own to get them to match. In my opinion the profiles have been inconsistent on the M.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
I've got a customer with both...but with his M series he does not have white. He does not get identical output from both printers but will after he finally starts to make some of his own profiles. he is going to have Onyx come out for two days to train him on consistent output from machine to machine (he also has a 1640)

Christian @ 2CT Media

Hello all,

Question for anyone running a Colorado 1650 and a Colorado M5W....

We've been running 2x Canon Colorado 1650s for over 4 years now, very happy with the product and Canon's support.
As a background wholesale supplier we've always had at least 2 identical printers, it used to be Seiko/Oki, and Mimaki before that.
It's a redundancy thing, we have to be able to print the same jobs on either printer at short notice.

The backlit mode on the 1650s illuminates beautifully, but of course the prints are way too dark during the day.
Which brings us to the M5W.

I'd really like to get the M5W specifically for 3 layer day/night printing, and as a backup for the 1650.
But I don't need (or have room for) 3 printers.

So the question is - Can I get near as identical prints on the M5W to the 1650 ?
The CMYK inks are identical, but the M5W heads are new.
Canon can't give me an answer if it's do-able.
I can answer this extensively, but the short answer is no. We have both machines and have done full profiling and adjustments to print methods on each. It's closer after the last firmware update on the M series, but the dual row of heads in the 1650 gives a sizeable possible gamut over the M series and smoother solid colors. That said, depending on your profiling and what you are trying to accomplish, you can clip the 1650 to get near Identical matching to the M.

I really wish Canon had kept the dual rows or halved the dot size on the M. Then, we would have similar output.

KEYSER SOZE

I can answer this extensively, but the short answer is no. We have both machines and have done full profiling and adjustments to print methods on each. It's closer after the last firmware update on the M series, but the dual row of heads in the 1650 gives a sizeable possible gamut over the M series and smoother solid colors. That said, depending on your profiling and what you are trying to accomplish, you can clip the 1650 to get near Identical matching to the M.

I really wish Canon had kept the dual rows or halved the dot size on the M. Then, we would have similar output.
Thanks Christian that's exactly what I wanted to know, Canon have been evasive on this.
I have no problem with profiling, but just needed to know if it's ultimately achievable.

We have so many repeat jobs that need to be identical, either of the 1650s do this.

Rats, I really didn't want to get a 3rd printer.

Christian @ 2CT Media

It is possible but you have to understand the gamut size will be limited on the 1650 to meet the end point of the M. The issue then becomes apparent grain depending on the mode you are running.