• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colorburst shutting down. File too big. Now what?

GoodPeopleFlags

I have 3 banners to print today, 3x10, d/s, for a local college. The art was designed by their graphic designer and it's very nice. High resolution photos and sized to 3x10. They sent me a cd with the files in Photoshop and .jpg formats. The .jpgs range from 38 - 48 MB in size. The PS files range from about 385 - 585 MB. Colorburst won't open Photoshop files but it will open .jpgs. I opened it, hit print and got the attached error message.

This has happened before when I've tried printing a large file. These *have* to be printed today. There's no time to outsource them. (We tried that already and the vendor screwed us big time.)

What I'm hoping you guys can help me with is, since I have the Photoshope files with the layers in tact, is there something I can do to get these files to print? Has anyone encountered that error message before? Please help!

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 102

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
Downsize the file in photoshop

Open the file in photoshop. You can resample the image to 100 dpi at final size cmyk and it will print perfectly. We do this to almost all banners that are sent to us. We convert all pdf's, psd's, eps, ai and whatever else comes in and make them into a 100 dpi jpg for banner printing. It only takes a minute and smooths out the workflow.

GoodPeopleFlags

Woohoo! I got it! omg I was freaking out there for awhile. Here's what I did:

I forgot to mention before that the size they want for the banners has changed to about 2x8. I was opening the file into colorburst straight from the cd and then changing the size in Colorburst. But that didn't make the file smaller.

So, I opened the PS file, resized it, and took Pat's advice to lower the resoution. It was 150 and I changed it to 75. That got the file size down to 2mb and I'm printing now!

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

HaroldDesign

Woohoo! I got it! omg I was freaking out there for awhile. Here's what I did:

I forgot to mention before that the size they want for the banners has changed to about 2x8. I was opening the file into colorburst straight from the cd and then changing the size in Colorburst. But that didn't make the file smaller.

So, I opened the PS file, resized it, and took Pat's advice to lower the resoution. It was 150 and I changed it to 75. That got the file size down to 2mb and I'm printing now!

:clapping::clapping::clapping:
Straight from the CD without copying it to/on your hard drive? If so, that alone was the problem.

boxerbay

I have seen it crash when opening a 10 x 3 into a 38" wide layout. If you rotate the banner first in PS then save, it should open fine.

CB will crash when there is not enough room to fit the image your trying to open into your layout width or length. If it is slightly larger your fine but if it is twice as wide is crashes.

2 work arounds - either rotate them first OR set your layout really wide - bring in your file - rotate - then drop down your layout width.

Also when paneling a large box truck - your layout box will be set to about 300" if your total panels end to end are longer than 300" it will also crash. You have to set you layout length to be longer than the total length of all panels - so it fits.

also we never run anything off the cd - slow
and we always convert everything to PDF and save as pdf press quality. this will convert all items in the file to CMYK. Sometimes we get cmyk file with an RGB photo in it.

hope that helps.

GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks for the info, guys! I didn't know it was a no-no to print from the cd. I thought I was saving a step by not saving it to my computer. Now I know better!
:cool1:

Rooster

Whenever I get issue with sizes being too big in my rip (wasatch) it's usually because I haven't cleaned up the old files and the hard disc is getting too full.

I've sent files well over a gig in size to a colorburst rip before. They can take it.

signswi

Wow if my print vendor did this to me I'd bore them a new hole in their head.

No reason your RIP couldn't handle 150dpi at that size, should be trivial. The reading straight from CD could have been the problem for sure. You've already figured that out...the other thing you could have tried was a flattened .tif with ZIP compression.