• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Colordao 1650 - Who has one and does wraps?

Scrathcy

Hi Guys
I tried a bunch of substrates on a Colorado1650 yesterday. I printed on Avery 1105. When I came back I did a quick test on the edge of a bumber to see how it would conform. I didnt laminate it.
My results showed that it stretched about half the amount that the same print from the HP latex would before the print started breaking up... It was an extreme stretch.
Is any body else doing wraps with success from a 1650..

I tested a print on ORAJET 3169 printed on a 1640 and it was brittle. Does anyone know if it is better with the 1650. Is it marked improvement or jusat a mere step..

Christian @ 2CT Media

It does not wrap like Latex or Solvent. You have to limit the stretch. You can do complex wraps but it takes more time as you can not heavy stretch. We only do simple curves and flat sided with it and keep our latexes running for complex wraps.

Also the heavier the ink load the better the Colorado is with wrapping.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Thanks for your input... How do you find it for wall and window grpahics.. Does the vinyl seem brittle..?
The 1650 is not at all... It's perfect for those things and the ink is incredibly durable unlaminated. We run everything but wraps on our Colorado. We have even printed almost 300 vehicle graphics packages on it with great success.

ikarasu

How's the alignment? I do find occasionally on our latex printing a 10 ft piece... It'll come out 9 ft 11 inches, etc.... The. The second panel will be 11.5". It's never the exact size. Not really an issue since we can align all the important stuff at eye level and make the top go a bit out of whack... Our solvent was always perfect, it's one of our only complaints about the latex. The speed of the colarado is insane... It's my next "we must buy this" purchase

Bly

How's the alignment? I do find occasionally on our latex printing a 10 ft piece... It'll come out 9 ft 11 inches, etc.... The. The second panel will be 11.5". It's never the exact size. Not really an issue since we can align all the important stuff at eye level and make the top go a bit out of whack... Our solvent was always perfect, it's one of our only complaints about the latex. The speed of the colarado is insane... It's my next "we must buy this" purchase

Prints are consistently accurate and colour matches print to print.
These were my 2 biggest complaints of the latexes.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
waste. of. money.

get 3 L360s for the same price

You could, but then you’d have to pay for the ink, heads and maintenance of three machines, not to mention trying to keep three machines colour matched which seems to be a joy on the latex machines.

Not to mention, when it comes to actual print quality vs print speed I don’t think the Colorado is miles away from being able to compete with at least a couple latex machines (2CT can probably help more there)

Christian @ 2CT Media

You could, but then you’d have to pay for the ink, heads and maintenance of three machines, not to mention trying to keep three machines colour matched which seems to be a joy on the latex machines.

Not to mention, when it comes to actual print quality vs print speed I don’t think the Colorado is miles away from being able to compete with at least a couple latex machines (2CT can probably help more there)
It's 2.5 times faster than our 570s in a like for like print quality. We literally run everything on the Colorado now and only wraps and overflow on the latex.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
We had the 1640 for a year and just changed it out to the 1650. Ink is so much better. No more cracking or brittleness issues. That being said, I don't think a would wrap a car with it even though they say you can.
We haven't particular loved the matte mode. The colors are soooo dull and we're having a hard time liking it.
I third the others, we print just about everything on the 1650 except wraps. Although we have a Seiko that we print wraps on rather than latex.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Any of you actually buy canon media? One of their sales guys told me recently that we buy in our material cheaper than they buy theirs lol

Grizzly

Any of you actually buy canon media? One of their sales guys told me recently that we buy in our material cheaper than they buy theirs lol

Nope. If someone else could make a machine comparable to the Colorado I would rather not be a Canon customer. We've wanted a small format UV printer with the speed like the Colorado for years. The only way to get the speed of the Colorado with a UV printer is to go 3 meter. Didn't really want to deal with a 3 meter machine and we don't do enough that it would merit the need for dual roll printing.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Canon do like to charge extra then just say they give better service. I wonder where they’ll go next with the UV gel tech. They either have to go smaller or bigger, can’t see them getting too much faster very soon lol

our tech hinted that they’re looking at making a smaller one when he was in recently, not sure what market that will fill though. Would destroy their colourwave market

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Is that US only? When we looked at switching our 1640 for the 50 they told us the ink was the same cost; or does it just use more ink?

Grizzly

No it's more money per liter. I don't know about everywhere but every distributor that I've contacted, including Canon, it's been more.

And yes, it uses more ink. But not necessarily when printing. It wastes a ton more with maintenance. I've been through about 3 liters of waste ink since I got it in January. I called and complained, (they were shocked, surprise...) and they did a firmware upgrade that was supposed to do automatic maintenance less. It has helped but I'm still using more than I ever did with the 1640. Canon says it's because of the ink and that it requires more priming, therefore more waste.