• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colorgate question using Color Atlas

jimmmi

Hello, i have a question about Colorgate color replacement using Color Atlas. For spot colors for example, it has it ready in color replacement dialog, i double click change manually values on the right column in Lab sytem, to the values of the spot color and use color atlas to print swatches.(maybe there is an easier way but havent find it yet).
Then select the one i like and color is replaced.
The more complex is with cmyk
Lets say i have a PDF with letters in some CMYK color. The only way i found for using color atlas is tottaly manually and very complex. I double click to show the advanced view, use color picker and click on the color. It opens the color replacement dialog, i copy the exact values form left column to right column one by one and saveit. Then manually again i open color replacement dialog, make a new entry using previous cmyk values left, copy to the right column, use color atlas, and when i find which color i like i select it. So i have two entries now. I copy the values from second entry i created to the first i created with color picker and then the color is replaced. I think i am doing something wrong. Too many steps for something so simple like a cmyk color replacement but havent found any faster. Can someone describe the corect procedure?

dypinc

In my experience you are doing it correctly if working from CMYK input values in the Edit Color dialog. The Input Value side is a little confusing because I have found those values are really the device output values, and that is what you are changing there. That is why I prefer using named Spot Colors when ever possible. With spot colors and the HP Latex I get better results with the HP Professional Pantone Emulation / Visual Closest Match and as a starting point for using the Color Atlas.

What is a shame though this Edit Color Dialog a can't use an alias to a Pantone Spot Color or import a color library.

Maybe someone on here has found a better way. If so I sure would like to know that also.

jimmmi

In my experience you are doing it correctly if working from CMYK input values in the Edit Color dialog. The Input Value side is a little confusing because I have found those values are really the device output values, and that is what you are changing there. That is why I prefer using named Spot Colors when ever possible. With spot colors and the HP Latex I get better results with the HP Professional Pantone Emulation / Visual Closest Match and as a starting point for using the Color Atlas.

What is a shame though this Edit Color Dialog a can't use an alias to a Pantone Spot Color or import a color library.

Maybe someone on here has found a better way. If so I sure would like to know that also.

I believed that i am doing something wrong. All this 10 step procedure is unproductive for just replace a color, for such a good rip like colorgate