• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colors Pantone Epson S80600

Hello, I have an Epson S80600 printer for 2 years, and the printer is great, apart from the after sales in Brazil, the rest makes me completely satisfied. I have a color question, has anyone figured out the exact pantone to print 100% pure red? I tested several different pantones, but I didn't reach a satisfactory conclusion... the other colors all OK, only the red that bothers me. I currently use the 2347C, but it is a little "orange"...

Thank you for your contributions.

Last edited:

ikarasu

go into your rip and select the red and see what its trying to print at.

0/100/100/0 is the "reddest red" but I usually throw in a few percent of black to make it a deeper red and not a bright one... bright red gives a bit of an orange look to it. 0/100/100/5 gives us a nice coca cola red.

FrankW

It is not possible to get an exact match of Pantone in hue and appearance with a process printer. Pantone colors are printed as spot print colors regularly in offset printing or screen printing, mixed manually out of around 15 base colors. There are bridge color swatches which shows Pantone colors in comparison to their counterparts in CMYK-printing.

What is the best match in CMYK-Printing could differ from printer to printer or ink to ink.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
It is not possible to get an exact match of Pantone in hue and appearance with a process printer.
Although the OP mentions a Pantone color, the question is how to reach "a 100% pure red" using the Epson S80600 printer. This printer is more than a 4-color process printer. Heidelberg and others consider this a multicolor process printer which covers up to 95 percent of the Pantone® color space. Apparently Pantone has certified this model and ink set as such. This Epson model is not the only brand of printer and ink capable of similar ability.

The OP mentions; "2347C, but it is a little "orange." Yes, as it should because the Epson S80600 easily matches this particular Pantone. However, the OP is looking for a more "pure" red color.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Earlier posts mention RGB and CMYK values for a basic, pure red color. What's missing is the name of the color space for the values.

The attached image is only to illustrate where "pure red" lands in a 3-D plot of the individual color spaces. Whether one will see an actual difference in print is an exercise for one to test.

RedValuesThreeColorSpaces.png

• Agree
Reactions: a77

FrankW

Although the OP mentions a Pantone color, the question is how to reach "a 100% pure red" using the Epson S80600 printer. This printer is more than a 4-color process printer. Heidelberg and others consider this a multicolor process printer which covers up to 95%

It doesnt matter how much process colors are used as long as there are no pantone matching spot inks. It would be interesting how much tolerance is applied when Pantone certifies such printers.

But you are right, 100% pure red is the value searched for.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
ColorCrest, are you able to show me a plot of Fogra39 vs. Epson Wide please?

Edit: Nevermind, found an online site which was able to plot the comparison.

It's weird, I've played with the EpsonWide profile before, but our colours seem to render terribly. For one reason or another, our supplier set us up to use Fogra39 colour space for output and everything had printed absolutely perfectly for 3+ years without any issues, hitting any Pantone required (we do a lot of 021C for a client and they love it).

Last edited:

yannb

ColorCrest, are you able to show me a plot of Fogra39 vs. Epson Wide please?

Edit: Nevermind, found an online site which was able to plot the comparison.

It's weird, I've played with the EpsonWide profile before, but our colours seem to render terribly. For one reason or another, our supplier set us up to use Fogra39 colour space for output and everything had printed absolutely perfectly for 3+ years without any issues, hitting any Pantone required (we do a lot of 021C for a client and they love it).
This is because spot colors in your PDF are looked up in the spot colour library of the rip. This library contains the name of a spot colour and its respective L*a*b* value. They are rendered absolute colorimetric from L*a*b* to output CMYK ICC (the printer profile). Source CMYK in your file get assigned source ICC profiles by the rip (in your case Fogra 39) or use embedded ICC to define CMYK->L*a*b*, then go via the set rendering intent to output CMYK. Same goes for RGB.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Some colors cannot be hit within the CMYK spectrum of 100/100/100/100. You have to go beyond 100% to achieve those rich deep hues.
We use Onyx RIP and you can do a color bump within the RIP to achieve those particular colors when necessary.

We call it a saturation bump and it is the same way you would increase saturation for a backlit sign.
We print our own "Almost Pantone" chart using the Pantone swatches saved out of our current version and colorspace of Adobe Illustrator.
Print one at the regular setting, and one at a 15% universal color bump.
We keep samples of those around the office off of each printer, and then we can compare the Pantone books we have to the printed samples to see which printer/setting is right for a particular job.

airborneassault

Some colors cannot be hit within the CMYK spectrum of 100/100/100/100. You have to go beyond 100% to achieve those rich deep hues.
We use Onyx RIP and you can do a color bump within the RIP to achieve those particular colors when necessary.

We call it a saturation bump and it is the same way you would increase saturation for a backlit sign.
We print our own "Almost Pantone" chart using the Pantone swatches saved out of our current version and colorspace of Adobe Illustrator.
Print one at the regular setting, and one at a 15% universal color bump.
We keep samples of those around the office off of each printer, and then we can compare the Pantone books we have to the printed samples to see which printer/setting is right for a particular job.

Can you explain how to access this "color bump" in onyx? I've never heard of that but it sounds awesome for the correct circumstance.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I
Can you explain how to access this "color bump" in onyx? I've never heard of that but it sounds awesome for the correct circumstance.
In Onyx, when you rip your file, the 3rd(? - sorry I'm away from that PC) tab is for color management. In the top left there is an area where it shows the CMYK & spot color channels. You can type an increase into those channels.