• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colour calibration

KBROOKE

Hello !

So I have a Mimaki CJV30-130.

I use Corel Draw, and export all files through Raster Link Pro5 SG.

When printing things like basic signs, and cartoon images.. The print is fine..

I'm working on printing granite that should match the existing granite on the wall..

I uploaded the image of the granite into corel. It looks brownish grey like the granite on the wall..

After sending it through Rasterlink the granite prints blue...

I've exported it as a PDF, and a TIF file. Both files are not printing the way it looks in Corel..

Can anyone think of how to send the file from corel to Rasterlink without distorting the colour ??

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
While we use a Mimaki we don't use Corel or Rasterlink so I'm not going to have much to offer. One thing I would try though is changing the color mode and profile of the tiff or pdf image you are exporting from Corel. If its CMYK change it to RGB (and then assign the Adobe RGB profile to it) or if its aalready RGB maybe try changing the profile assigned to it which probably defaults to sRGB which is a somewhat limited gamut intended for monitors. If there is one thing I have found nearly 100% repeatable over the past 10+ years is that CMYK files in general print poorly, have a crippled and limited range of color, and makes pointlessly larger files.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Are you using default profiles? You may need to actually create some profiles specifically for your printer and media.

Mike Adams at Correct Color (CorrectColor on Signs101) is an amazing resource. His whole business is getting people set up to print accurate and consistent colors.

KBROOKE

While we use a Mimaki we don't use Corel or Rasterlink so I'm not going to have much to offer. One thing I would try though is changing the color mode and profile of the tiff or pdf image you are exporting from Corel. If its CMYK change it to RGB (and then assign the Adobe RGB profile to it) or if its aalready RGB maybe try changing the profile assigned to it which probably defaults to sRGB which is a somewhat limited gamut intended for monitors. If there is one thing I have found nearly 100% repeatable over the past 10+ years is that CMYK files in general print poorly, have a crippled and limited range of color, and makes pointlessly larger files.

Ya I've been doing some research, and lots of people say that CMYK files are the worst. I did try and change to RGB.. and it was slightly better.

I'm not the most experienced sign maker.. And i'm just starting to learn the complexity of it all..

I was recently just shown that you can actually change the printing profile, and that there are specific profiles for different mediums and desired prints.

I work in the film industry and my boss bought the printer as a toy... so he thinks it's as easy as clicking print.

I will have to tinker around with different profiles..

Thanks for the help! :Big Laugh

KBROOKE

Are you using default profiles? You may need to actually create some profiles specifically for your printer and media.

Mike Adams at Correct Color (CorrectColor on Signs101) is an amazing resource. His whole business is getting people set up to print accurate and consistent colors.

Ya, I'm using default printing profiles.

Thank you so much for the referral. I will definitely be looking in to that.

I'm a NOOB in the printing world..

And was recently shown by a technician that there is even a way to change the profile..

ahaha I got a lot of research ahead of me..

Thank you so much for the help! :thumb:

DerbyCitySignGuy

Ya, I'm using default printing profiles.

Thank you so much for the referral. I will definitely be looking in to that.

I'm a NOOB in the printing world..

And was recently shown by a technician that there is even a way to change the profile..

ahaha I got a lot of research ahead of me..

Thank you so much for the help! :thumb:

Read Real World Color Management. It's an older book, but it's got a lot of really good information in there.