• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer for Versaworks

VL

Going to purchase a new PC to run Versaworks. After asking around people have said purchase the fastest processor you can afford. Is a computer with a Inter Core 17 3.9Ghz turbo chip going to be overkill or will I still be waiting and glad I purchase a machine this fast? Also do you need better video card or can you use the video that is built into the board? And by the way I was informed by Nazdar today that you can now run Windows 8 "we double checked with Roland and they are now compatible with Windows 8."

WildWestDesigns

Going to purchase a new PC to run Versaworks. After asking around people have said purchase the fastest processor you can afford. Is a computer with a Inter Core 17 3.9Ghz turbo chip going to be overkill or will I still be waiting and glad I purchase a machine this fast?

I am always of the mind "better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it". Can be an expensive mentality to have, but it's always worked out for me in the end.

Also do you need better video card or can you use the video that is built into the board?

I prefer stand alone cards. I'm sure the built in ones have gotten better, but I just prefer stand alone.

And by the way I was informed by Nazdar today that you can now run Windows 8 "we double checked with Roland and they are now compatible with Windows 8."

I run Win 8 Pro on my Cintiq Companion tablet and I like that OS a lot, but some of the ways that you have to do things in that OS are not intuitive if you are using it on a non-touchscreen computer. So bare that in mind. It didn't take me a long time to get used to it, but that was using it on a touchscreen, not on a desktop without touch. I personally would go with Win 7. MS really should have come out with a desktop and a mobile version of Win 8.

SignBurst PCs

I am a proponent of faster is better. Even if you don't need it right now, as time goes by, you may need it. As software gets more demanding, you will be happy that you didn't skimp.

If this is going to be a dedicated RIP machine and only running VersaWorks, then the on-board video will probably be OK.