• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Connecticut ADA sign requirements

fmg

Hi There.
Can anyone please inform me of the codes for ADA signage in the state of Connecticut please.
Do the signs have to be Braille only or do they have to be Braille and Tactile.
Many thanks in advance for any feedback.
Also what is the suggested height for these to be applied onto wall?

CES020

I've not seen anything special for that state. Rick is the go to guy on this, but ADA is Federal, not state. State can add their own stuff to it, but that seems to be mainly California that's messing all around with that.

From my understanding of it, you must have braille and tactile. One's no good without the other. It should be 60" from the ground to the center of the sign.

The most important thing for anyone to know is it must be GRADE 2 braille. If you don't know what grade 2 is, you need to get that education before you quote the job. You cannot, repeat CANNOT download a braille font, type in the text and just change the font. You'll be in a world of hurt if you do.

fmg

I've not seen anything special for that state. Rick is the go to guy on this, but ADA is Federal, not state. State can add their own stuff to it, but that seems to be mainly California that's messing all around with that.

From my understanding of it, you must have braille and tactile. One's no good without the other. It should be 60" from the ground to the center of the sign.

The most important thing for anyone to know is it must be GRADE 2 braille. If you don't know what grade 2 is, you need to get that education before you quote the job. You cannot, repeat CANNOT download a braille font, type in the text and just change the font. You'll be in a world of hurt if you do.
Thank you for this info.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Joehauls edition is a little old.... before I can suggest a correct edition....

A few questions...

Are you redoing a whole facility, or onsey twosey signs?
What type of facility... apartments, government building, housing with government funding, state building, federal building, hospital or private office?

fmg

Joehauls edition is a little old.... before I can suggest a correct edition....

A few questions...

Are you redoing a whole facility, or onsey twosey signs?
What type of facility... apartments, government building, housing with government funding, state building, federal building, hospital or private office?
Providing 18 Wheelchair and 18 exit signs for a new fitness center.
Thank you.

Rick

What are wheelchair signs? (as in, what do they say?)

Are these exit sign being placed below the overhead illuminated exit signs?

CES020

What do you mean wheelchair and exit signs? Neither of those are braille or tactile, but there are local codes for those.

fmg

Sorry I should have been more specific.
Disabled access message with Wheelchair symbol and Exit message To be housed at door locations throughout the facility.

Rick

What do you mean wheelchair and exit signs? Neither of those are braille or tactile, but there are local codes for those.

On the "Exit" signs...

According to the 2010 DOJ Federal Guidelines, they are required to be braille and tactile...

The 2010 Guideline is going into efect in 2012, but I am suggesting to everyone doing new jobs, or redoing large portions of older jbs to comply with the newest. You can technically use the 1991 version, but if a sign needs replacement in 2012, they will not match because they will have to comply with the new standard.

The signs that FMG are bidding/working on seem to be from the 2010 standard.. just need to know what wheelchair sign he is talking about.

216.4.1 Exit Doors. Doors at exit passageways, exit discharge, and exit stairways shall be identified by tactile signs complying with 703.1, 703.2, and 703.5.

But I have been seeing weird EXIT signs with the ISA (wheelchair guy) and arrow and either "EXIT" or EXIT ROUTE" where architects are combining signs and the requiring braille and tactile when the letters are too big to comply, and look to small for the sign.

Rick

Sorry I should have been more specific.
Disabled access message with Wheelchair symbol and Exit message To be housed at door locations throughout the facility.

Is this the same sign, or 2 seperate signs... like.... does the ISA (wheelchair guy) sign, go above the "EXIT" sign

CES020

I guess I'm not understanding the exit sign location. My comments were based on my thoughts of the exit signs being the illuminated EXIT signs that lead you to stairwells and out the doors.

Not sure I have ever see any type of Braille/tactile exit sign.

fmg

On the "Exit" signs...

The signs that FMG are bidding/working on seem to be from the 2010 standard.. just need to know what wheelchair sign he is talking about.
The contractor has been advised by the architect that all exits must have a generic if you wish Disabled access sign.I would assume that these are the type that have a wheelchair symbol above the wording 'Disabled Access'
They cannot get a C/O without these so I have to get these to them this week and I do not want to mess up as they are a very good account of mine.
Thanks fr your help I appreciate it.

Rick

Okay, I think I get you.... at the entrance to the areas.. you have the ISA (wheel chair guy) sign...

Most likely at the same door, but when exiting, you need a sign that says "EXIT" with braille and tactile....

Rick

I guess I'm not understanding the exit sign location. My comments were based on my thoughts of the exit signs being the illuminated EXIT signs that lead you to stairwells and out the doors.

Since 2008, California has required these signs at all illuminated EXIT... So we have EXITE, EXITE ROUTE, EXIT STAIR UP, AND EXIT STAIR DOWN requirements. I believe Washington and Florida require something similar, but not 100% sure....

Areas where you actually exit the building are required (officially in March, 2012 unless required by your state - Connecticut is actually not one of them on a public facility) to have a braille and tactile "EXIT" sign

fmg

Okay, I think I get you.... at the entrance to the areas.. you have the ISA (wheel chair guy) sign...

Most likely at the same door, but when exiting, you need a sign that says "EXIT" with braille and tactile....

Yes that is correct.
I am looking in the Grimco catalog if that helps page 83 Standard Braille signs for ADA compliance
Wheelchair symbol above the wording ACCESSIBLE and the EXIT sign has a figure running towards a door..
Pictogram and Braille are raised 1/32" and Letters are 11/16" tall.
Thank you.

fmg

No not the Illuminated exit signs above the door, but just a Braille exit sign located to the side of the door Jamb.
Thank you.