• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Connector for HP/Summa 54" Plotter?

Signstein

We have a new HP printer/plotter combo coming our way and I'm currently shopping for a couple new cables, but cannot find specific information on the type of connector used on the plotter. All the Summa documentation simply says "USB".
Is that USB-A, B, or C? 2.0? 3.0? And what about longer cable runs? This new plotter will be about 20-25 feet from the PC so I guess I need an active USB cable.
Could any of you please tell me what type of connector is on the plotter? And what cables are you using? Have any of you had luck using an active usb cable for connections over 20 feet?
Thanks so much!

JBurton

Signtologist
I want to say summa is going to have an ethernet port as well, can't say though, I have a graphtec.
For confirmation, email the sales guy who sold the combo. He better be able to tell you in a heartbeat, if he can't you want to ask to speak to their in house tech, if they have one...

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It has both Ethernet and USB type B connector.
So if you don't want to connect it to your LAN, you can have almost limitless distance by adding 2nd network card to your PC and connecting directly.

Signstein

It has both Ethernet and USB type B connector.
So if you don't want to connect it to your LAN, you can have almost limitless distance by adding 2nd network card to your PC and connecting directly.
Thanks! That's what I needed to know. I put in a second network card already for the printer, so I'm stuck with USB for the plotter. I'm specifically going around our IT department and connecting the new printer directly versus over the network. Our IT department is horrible and I don't want some schmoe in Accounting to select the wrong HP printer for their quarterly report.