• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Considering Buying an AccuBender 410. Need some seasoned input/advice.

SignPros

We're a full-service shop, and we currently build our channel letters by hand. I'd like to move up to an auto bender, but $45-50k for a new machine is a pretty serious whack. I've done some research into brands, specs and such, and it seems that AccuBend is one of the top lines out there. I've come across a 2008 AccuBend 410 with 12,200 hours on it, complete with PC running windows 10. Owner says they upgraded to a new/faster machine and this one was in use until the day they cranked up it's replacement. They're asking 16K or best offer for it.

My questions:

How is that in terms of wear/tear/usage? Is 12,200 hours a ton where it's like "that thing's gonna crash and burn at any time" or is it "that machine still has a ton of life in it"?

Are there specific issues/problems to look out for on this machine? What are the major wear items that might require replacement, and roughly at what cost?

Is the price a fair number? It seems so when I look at others and especially new ones, but it's not like there's a blue million of these out there for sale at this very moment to price-shop.

Thanks in advance.

equippaint

I know absolutely nothing about these machines but with construction equipment, 12,200 hours is a whole lot, typically slap wore out. Pins, bushings and things like that get sloppy. The used market for these has got to be small and Id bet they need the room so you really have the upper hand here. IMO the price isnt any great bargain.
The way I would look at it is that a new one is 45k, this used one 15k and 10 years old. So cost of ownership (minus maint) is 30k over 10 years or $250/month. Now, say this used one you buy lasts you 5 then your actual ownership cost would be the same as if you bought a new one but now you have to deal with the hassles of a 10 years old 12k hour machine.

TomNJ

We're a full-service shop, and we currently build our channel letters by hand. I'd like to move up to an auto bender, but $45-50k for a new machine is a pretty serious whack. I've done some research into brands, specs and such, and it seems that AccuBend is one of the top lines out there. I've come across a 2008 AccuBend 410 with 12,200 hours on it, complete with PC running windows 10. Owner says they upgraded to a new/faster machine and this one was in use until the day they cranked up it's replacement. They're asking 16K or best offer for it.

My questions:

How is that in terms of wear/tear/usage? Is 12,200 hours a ton where it's like "that thing's gonna crash and burn at any time" or is it "that machine still has a ton of life in it"?

Are there specific issues/problems to look out for on this machine? What are the major wear items that might require replacement, and roughly at what cost?

Is the price a fair number? It seems so when I look at others and especially new ones, but it's not like there's a blue million of these out there for sale at this very moment to price-shop.

Thanks in advance.

I just spoke to Don Dingwall at Computerized Cutters (makers of Accu Bend) yesterday afternoon about their CNC machines. He's a great guy and if you haven't spoken to him, you should. They have lots going on and he will give you great advice on buying new or used and how they can support you moving forward.
His number is 972-422-6900 x112 and no I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

Good luck.

henryz

I would have to say we are using ours for about 10 -12 yrs lost count, we run less because we upgraded to a newer one. There are different brands and styles depending your production. If I had to guess the mileage on ours is closer to 50k hrs+. Software issues is probably the critical thing on the older models but since it has been updated you should be good. 16k sounds reasonable as long as everything is running good. Now ask about service depending where you are located they are in Tx. So it's a pretty penny to get Accu bend over for maintenance. They also have the Ace or you can check out Adam Technologies benders.

Bradley D

www.jigsign.com
I'd make sure and get in writing what Computerized Cutters will charge in order to continue providing technical support. I've been to several companies that replace their old Accubends with an SDS/ AdamsTech benders and end up sending their Accubends to the scrap yard. No resale value.

Bradley D

www.jigsign.com
Check with Apex and Wicox in San Antonio. They upgraded to SDS Automation Benders and might still have and Accubend collecting dust. Not sure which models.

henry67

I bought an Accu Bend ACE+ for $47,000. After 30 days of use, I discovered that the machine is faulty and wastes a lot of material such as can not bending the star, cutting wrong and not wide enough,
causing the corners to overlap and wrinkle the corners.
The curves of all letters (q,e,R,o,p,a,d,g ,b, B, g, 8) will waste materials from 14" to 21" per each.
Computter Cutters Inc. didn't fix it even though I persisted with the email many times. The director here told me to sell this machine to old stuff market if I don't want to use ACE +. He has broken his promise to provide a 3-year warranty on his product, which has only been used for 30 days. This is shameless!
Computerized Cutters please fix it quickly or not, please accept to return the device ASAP

henry67

I'd make sure and get in writing what Computerized Cutters will charge in order to continue providing technical support. I've been to several companies that replace their old Accubends with an SDS/ AdamsTech benders and end up sending their Accubends to the scrap yard. No resale value.