• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Considering Summa dc4

bjones

Hey all.. I have a lot of work I do where I dearly need a near screen print look of vector art.. nothing with any real gradients or shading, just solid colors. At th ISA show in orlando I looked at the Summa DC4 and it looked to me like it can put down a very solid color without the dithering my inkjet does.. I mean, from a few feet away you can't see that dithering, but up close it just doesn't resemble screening.. Am I right in that the thermal printers with spot colors can do this or am I just nutso?

PGSigns

I have a DC4 and I am happy with what I get. You can do a lot with the spot colors. Not sure what you are trying to print, but you can send the files to Summa or one of the dealers and get them to run a test print. The Oldham Group is on the east coast and a summa dealer. They should be able to help with test prints. I have the DC4SX and its a good size for a thermal printer, if I have the need for 54" material it goes on an inkjet.
Jimmy

bjones

Ok.. so if you print say a box of solid red on a thermal, that box is truly solid red? no dithering like I see on inkjets?