• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Considering the "V" word...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Nope, not vasectomy...but vegetarian.

To make a long story short, major health problems further up in my family tree are are rampant and sadly, self-inflicted.

Something in the back of my mind has been gnawing at me to start making some major changes, and just this week I stumbled upon this link http://www.forksoverknives.com/ from two very different sources...which was confirmation enough for me.

I guess it was their logo that settled it for me. Being such the visual bunch that we are, I'm impressed by their slightly retro (with just a tad of grunge) visual appeal. The scalpal is the real clincher because it reminds me of the many major surgeries my father has faced over the past twenty years....again, most likely self-inflicted.

Anyway, it's going to be a huge challenge for me and I'm excited. I've nearly cut out milk 100% and sure feel a whole lot better for that.

So, if there's anybody out there who has done something similar, I'd sure like to get some encouragement. I'm really looking forward to visiting our local farmer's market this weekend.

Jim

WildWestDesigns

When it comes to something like this, I always try to error on the side of moderation rather then extreme one way or the other. Some have done extreme vegetarian and claim no ill effects. My sister and niece both tried this and had health issues directly related to it and have found others as well. Could they be the outer fringe of it? Sure could.

Every time I get a physical, I always come back very good condition for my age and body type, but I eat in moderation and I workout/aerobics. Not everyone eats in moderation or doing the exercise bit of it. I too also come from a family that has bad health issues on one side of the family.

Just wanted to throw that out there that not everyone has such a good experience with going total veggie. Some report no problems, but not everyone.

Signed Out

humans are omnivores, look at your teeth, those incisors are there for a reason. but so are your molars. don't go full veg.

HulkSmash

My dad is a vegetarian. He does eat cheese... no milk, no eggs, no meat.. even fish.

He's a beast. 0 health issues.

James Burke

Yep....I don't quite see me as 100% veg...but I'm sure interested in making the move toward more healthier choices.

Jim

ICeMAnAbk

I highly advise you contact a dietician about an extreme overhaul of your diet.

Giong vegan / vegitarian, depending on your set diet, can be bad for you if not done correctly. You have a lot of natural vitamins and minerals your body takes in through just eating. but when you alter your diet, you could be lacking some critical things you will need at older ages. Also, not every diet is perfect for everyone. There is an indepth part of the basic 3 which makes up your calories. Proteins, Carbs, and Fats. All are needed in their own way and depending on your lifestyle will determin what you need more or less of.

Proteins are critical especially specific types if you do a lot of physical labor or like to work out, heavy lifting, or just a lot of muscle use.

Carbs are for your energy and we ingest a lot throughout the day. Good to keep you going.

Fats have many purposes, Omega3 fats are for your organs and other needs ni your bodys internal workings.

All 3 of these basics, split into more complex avenues of vitamins, pros and cons. If you lack in one, your body will make up for it somehow, but long term effects can make you groggy. The initial change of diet, is going to make you feel ill, it's best to ween yourself into the diet. Going from whole to skim milk for example is a good show. You drink skim right after whole, it's lacking a lot. but if you go whole ->2%->1% then Skim, you almost can't tell you've changed your tastes.

Another big help is using more "Light" or Low Fat or No Fat topings condiments, dressings and other stuff. You get use to using it, then once you try original recipes again, it'll taste horrible to you (Light/No fats tend to be more water based then oils).

You can take vitamins and mineral tabs to keep your intake balanced, but artifical vitamins can build up in your system. a big problem with synthetics is key with Vitamin B. gives energy, but your body is supose to cap it then disreguard the rest. Synthetics your body will overload on and not reject the excess. Hench the reason Energy drinks are pretty bad for you. Keep in mind all the excess pills and stuff you take also is hard on your kidneys and liver which has to filter that junk out.

So... Highly suggest, looking up a dietician, and getting a good diet and total understanding of what your working with. Personally, I like meat, it's a good source of proteins and vitamins and such. Going Vegan is doable, and people have amazing results on it for weight lose or health issues, but I strongly encourage with a diet a work out program, with cardio and lifting. Putting onthe muscle while burning fat, eventually gaining muscle mass, is beneficial in the long run since the extra muscle determins your calorie intake for a day, so more muscle, more calories burned. I eat around 2700->3500cals a day, but I burn a lot of it from work, working out, and the quality of the calories goes a long way as well.

Small adjustments to your diet are more beneficial then a strict diet, since the strict one you will not do in a long term, but small changes over a long term will be beneficial in the long run.

HulkSmash

Uh, how is his cheese made?

uh, He hates milk/eggs, which is why he doesn't eat it.

Vegetarian, NOT vegan

as for going full vegetarian, be careful. At first it can really spike the sodium level in your body because of the amount of salt in vegetarian protein, and vegetarian prepared dishes.

WildWestDesigns

All 3 of these basics, split into more complex avenues of vitamins, pros and cons. If you lack in one, your body will make up for it somehow, but long term effects can make you groggy.

Typically your body will pull those essentials from the body itself. Calcium from bones is perhaps the biggest thing that is taken from bones when people's diet does not have a lot of that in it.

The initial change of diet, is going to make you feel ill, it's best to ween yourself into the diet.

This is going to depend on the individual person. Sometimes ill effects are felt at the end when the diet is too extreme and the body is starting to have to leach from itself to make up the deficit.

Another big help is using more "Light" or Low Fat or No Fat topings condiments, dressings and other stuff. You get use to using it, then once you try original recipes again, it'll taste horrible to you (Light/No fats tend to be more water based then oils).

I would be careful with this. Typically they add more of something else to make up for the fact that it's "light", "low fat" and/or "no fat"

You can take vitamins and mineral tabs to keep your intake balanced, but artifical vitamins can build up in your system. a big problem with synthetics is key with Vitamin B. gives energy, but your body is supose to cap it then disreguard the rest. Synthetics your body will overload on and not reject the excess. Hench the reason Energy drinks are pretty bad for you. Keep in mind all the excess pills and stuff you take also is hard on your kidneys and liver which has to filter that junk out.

Another problem and this is mainly seen with the body builders, is using supplements to build body mass. Your body "sees" that it is coming from somewhere else and so it shuts down it's own production. So when you go off of it, it takes your body awhile to adjust and start producing again and depending on your age and genetics it might not be like what it was before taking the supplements.

So... Highly suggest, looking up a dietician, and getting a good diet and total understanding of what your working with. Personally, I like meat, it's a good source of proteins and vitamins and such. Going Vegan is doable, and people have amazing results on it for weight lose or health issues, but I strongly encourage with a diet a work out program, with cardio and lifting. Putting onthe muscle while burning fat, eventually gaining muscle mass, is beneficial in the long run since the extra muscle determins your calorie intake for a day, so more muscle, more calories burned. I eat around 2700->3500cals a day, but I burn a lot of it from work, working out, and the quality of the calories goes a long way as well.

That's about where I'm at as well, but unfortunately, that doesn't always stay at the same level. Age and genetics will also take care, but if you are in this type of routine it helps a lot more.

Small adjustments to your diet are more beneficial then a strict diet, since the strict one you will not do in a long term, but small changes over a long term will be beneficial in the long run.

So true. One of the reasons why I believe moderation in everything.

In what seems like a former life, my formal education and job experience was in Equine Nutrition and despite the obvious differences, people would be amazed to just similar things are among mammals.

anotherdog

Whether you are jumping to vegetarian or not, it's worth taking a look at what you eat and how it effects you.
I discovered after 42 years that I had an issue with gluten, years of feeling slightly ill.

By selectivly cutting out different foods, including meat you discover a lot abut your body.
As far as vegetarian, research has show that running the body lean, or even starving it makes you live longer. I'm sure you can get the same effect by simply cutting portion size right down.
All veg does is enable you to eat a lot while starving.

WildWestDesigns

As far as vegetarian, research has show that running the body lean, or even starving it makes you live longer. I'm sure you can get the same effect by simply cutting portion size right down.

Or you make sure that you exercise. The body is designed to be "worked".

James Burke

What kind of health issues are in your family to make you think vegetarian is the answer?

Heart disease (and heart attacks), stroke, diabetes, kidney failure...you know...just the killers.

By themselves, each disease is bad enough. But when you start combining three and four of these together it's nothing more than death on the "installment plan".

The parents' kitchen table resembles a small pharmacy with no less than 20 or so meds between them...yep, I said 20. Due to ignorance, they're allowing themselves to be placed on a pharmacological treadmill with no chances of ever getting off. Each new med seems to require the assistance of one or two more meds just to counter act the side effects of the first.

Doctors are to busy to prescribe alternative methods of treatments, and the pill pushers also throw cash their way to prescribe their wares. And by the same token...people are dying from their own lack of knowledge and lack of discipline.

JB

WildWestDesigns

Heart disease (and heart attacks), stroke, diabetes, kidney failure...you know...just the killers.

Heart disease (and the much loved heart attacks) are the biggest ones on my mom's side. My grandfather had 3 of them and he died when he was 64.

Alzheimer is another disease in that family as well. My grandmother (same side) has it now and her brother died with it a couple of years ago. People also forget (ironic) that the mind is another muscle that needs to be worked as well. Doing logic games/puzzles has been shown to help mitigate mental disease as well.

James Burke

People also forget (ironic) that the mind is another muscle that needs to be worked as well. Doing logic games/puzzles has been shown to help mitigate mental disease as well.

Big amen here...I'm afraid our "entertain me" mentality is to blame for that.

Jim