• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour cut and VDP (VersaWorks)

Phil1969

I am using a Roland XC540 with Versaworks.
What I want to do looks simple:
Import a serie of numbers from a CSV file AND contour cut them.
I am used to Variable Data Printing, but never had the need to cut.

As an attempt to solve the problem, I have tried to create a poscript file, with the numbers and the CutContour outline in Corel X3, and send it to Versaworks. But it doesn't work either.

Thanks in advance for your help

Custom_Grafx

Hi, when you say it doesn't work... what do you mean? Can you provide more detail?

Do you want to print the numbers, and cut a square or rectangle around them, or do you want to print the number and cut a contour line around the number?

Phil1969

I setup the different artwork on several CorelDraw sheets and using the imposition feature in Print Preview, I placed them on one single large sheet and sent them to Roland/Versaworks. It created a postscript file (extension: filename.ps). But when I send it to the printer, nothing happen. I can see the Busy light on the printer for a few seconds, but then nothing

Custom_Grafx

Yeah the problem would be that I don't think you can variable data the cutting, only the printing.

You can import the text from excel into corel or illy then apply your contour cutlines there and send it to the machine.

grafigo

Hi,
sorry for hijacking but i have a job where i should print the numbers, and cut a square or rectangle around them. Is there a solution for this problem.
X4 + Versa + summa combo.
Thanks in advance.

Custom_Grafx

Create a csv file of your data. Put a name on the first row above the data such as "VDP_Data".

In your artwork, draw a rectangle box, and outline it with a spot colour named "VDP_Data".

Now send to versaworks like normal, and go to variable data. Click on load file. Locate your csv file. It should import the data automatically if you've done it correctly.

You will put your cut line as per your summa procedure in the same file.

grafigo

You will put your cut line as per your summa procedure in the same file.
That's my problem. I have a 1000 sticker 1.5 to 1 inch, with numbers ranging from 0001 to 1000
For Summa i create a file and macro (for X4, which came with machine) makes 4 squares (0,1 x 0,1 inch) on each corner of the file. The next step is Ctrl P and the selection of RolandVV as a printer. You know the rest.
What I want to say is, if I do so, I'll get 1000 labels and 4000 marks for the cutter to read, and it's just a crazy job.
Is there a logical way for this kind of work?
I hope I have managed to explain the procedure.
Thanks

Phil1969

Found a solution!

@grafigo
I haven't tried this procedure, please, take it with a pinch of salt.
What I would do, is place a rectangle in the artworks with the ContourCut outline. I would place the VDP inside the rectangle. Then select print and cut in Versaworks. The printer whould print the cutting marks, print the variable data and reload the media to cut the labels.

On my side, in case others would face the problem. I exported the individual files to PDF. Using Adobe Acrobat, I combined them into a single page in a new pdf file. I placed the Contour Cut outline in illustrator and it was done.

Thank you to everyone !

grafigo

I will try that. My concern is that there are limitations in VW, such as 20 VDP fields. My labels are so small, something like 70 could fit in A4 format.
But i will try and report in the morning (it's 9 PM here) how it's going on.

Thanks again

Phil1969

Quick Solution

In Illustrator, set your Artboard to the size of the label.
Prepare the VDP.
In Cut Controls, select Cut Image Boundaries
H2H

grafigo

This is how I solved it.
I used Corel's print merge feature, to make 1000 pages in a single document, where each page contained a single label. It was then exported to PDF and using Kodak preps software, installed on 12 A4 sheets. Then I exported as a PDF, uploaded to Corel, and made the marks for each page.
Something similar was done by Phil1969, only he was using adobe acrobat.
Thank you all for your ideas, which in the end helped me to solve the problem.

kffernandez

@grafigo
Using Adobe Acrobat, I combined them into a single page in a new pdf file. I placed the Contour Cut outline in illustrator and it was done.

hi phil! i can't seem to find the feature that combines several pdf pages into one. can you please explain it a bit further?

thanks!