• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour cut large project question

Grafix USA

Ok, normally I run jobs of <500 but I'm running a job of 3000 5"x2" decals and have broken them down into 3 jobs of 1000 each. I am using the FC7000MK2-130 and want to know if anyone has a better way of setting up.

I use the "sheet" command at the begining and then set the origin. As you can imagine if I'm off just a little it gives me the mark scan error because it has to go through so much material. Should I be using the "front roll" or "rear roll" setup at the beginning of the job or is "sheet" the correct way to do it (and I just need to get better at aligning my vinyl and setting the origin)?

After 3 tries I got it to work and align correctly, but with such a large amount of vinyl any misalignment seems to waste alot of time.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

Ken

I always run with a "rear roll" and do a pre-feed to check alignment.( I dont bother with that for something like a 24 inch cut)
As stated in the manual..doing a pre-feed will allow the pinch rollers to help "set" the vinyl on its proper course..seems weird..but that little bit of compression of the vinyl during pre-feed is supposed to give good tracking..
Ken

SignosaurusRex

I don't know if it helps David.....I've been going with smaller runs....say 500 at a time at that size. Printing on a Mutoh 1204. If i Rip from Wasatch and cut on my FC7000 I use the SHEET mode. If I Rip from Flexi and cut on the FC7000 I use REAR SET mode. Just my $0.02.....I'm pretty new at the print game.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The larger the print the more likely you'll end up with a mark scan error.

Printing a 1000 2x5 images is way too much media . Run the job on as many 36-48" sheets as it takes. Sheets of this size are much easier to handle, minimize any mark scan errors, and if you screw up you're only out a small piece of the job. Moreover, the incremental time it takes to wrangle the multiple sheets is minimal.

Neil

When you get a sheet that tracks perfectly, run some tape down alongside the left edge of the sheet on the front & back of the platen.
Then use this to butt the next sheets up to - as a registration mark /guide. I use 2 layers of white vinyl stripes and have them set up in line with every grit roller position.

Works much better than relying on the marks on the cutter.

Designer Wraps

Don't want to be a thread thief, but I'm having similar issues with just die-cutting Lettering that I print on my Mutoh (contour cut from Flexi). I've calibrated my FC7000 more times than i can count, but it seems that it's still hit and miss. It's either dead on one time, then off by 1/8 or 1/4 every other time.

My material size is usually between 48w x 50h or less (i've been doing smaller ones thinking that will be better and sometimes it is) - How in the world do you guys do it? I'm ready to push this machine in front of a bus!!

I've tried sheet, rear roll, pre-feed, always the same result = waste of material + lam

Bigdawg

Just Me
signmedia - what version of the firmware are you running? We updated to 2.1 (thanks uneedasign for the advice!!!) and it makes a world of difference.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I'm not using the MK series, but on mine when you start up the cutter it will say "75 V2.10" with 2.10 being the firmware version.

Edited to add: Your version will be different. Here is the download page - looks like you are on V3.7

jiarby

I have a CE5000, a little 24" cutter... so I print 60" x 24" sheets at a time. I would never mess with a 3000pc sticket job. I'd send it to stouse.

Grafix USA

Thanks guys a lot of good ideas and I'm going to cut my jobs down to about 72" in length. I appreciate all the good feedback.

TheSnowman

I'd make my jobs as big as my work area is. I normally just do it in 4' X 54" lengths. Then my wife can handle them, and they don't completely take over everything else that I'm working on while it's all printing. You probably have more room than me though if your printin' off that big of size.