• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cut

captainron19

OK Using Flexi Pro 7.0 I wanted to have a contour cut of some text.

I created the text - selected "effects" then "Contour Cut" I set my offset at .125 to have a 1/8" shadow for text - I chose "Apply" - next I went to "Effects" and chose "Seperate Contour Cut" I seperated the two items and they looked fine.

The problem I ran into was when I went to cut them. The original text would appear in production manager but the contour would not.

I thought I might have to convert it to curves so I did that but then when I went to Cut - not all of the letters appeared in my preview box.

For instance - the Contour Cut was for the word "BRODENTOWN" after I converted to curves and went to cut the production manager only showed the letters BORD and then the O (Properly spaced) missing the ENT in the middle and the WN at the end.

Am I missing something?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Contour cut is used with printed images. For vinyl cutting just send the text to Production Manager and then on to your plotter. If you want to outline or shadow the letters, then you use the Outline or Shadow modification tool and with whatever color of vinyl you want that to be.

jayhawksigns

If you are just cutting then there is no need to worry about the contour cutting option, like Fred said, thats only for when you are trying to print and then cut afterwards.

All you need to do is select you text, and the select the cut/plot option and your golden.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
One more tip with Flexi when cutting vinyl.

It doesn't happen everytime, but it does happen. Just to be safe, I usually make separate copies of the items I'm about to cut and give them a black fill. At times when you have imported artwork items with white fills (or no fills at all) Production Manager may not add them into the plotting window.

captainron19

LvDecals said:
You want to use the "outline" tool...

Thanks - what I was really trying to get was red letters with a 1/8" inch even outline of black around each letter. For something like, this, am I better off with the inline choice rather than the outline?

Scott Reynolds

captainron19 said:
Thanks - what I was really trying to get was red letters with a 1/8" inch even outline of black around each letter. For something like, this, am I better off with the inline choice rather than the outline?

NO, outline not inline.

Color Dude

You do realize in the cut/plot screen, you have the ability to change the colors your cutting, or you can send all colors.

If your doing 2 colors, of course you need to make sure that you have the color your wanting to cut selected on the general tab of the cut/plot screen, with the appropriate color of vinyl in the plotter.

If you do alot of this, it sure would save you a ton of time if you had a printer. Layering jobs is not so difficult but if alot of your work consist of more than one color of vinyl as most jobs do, having a printer would cut that time in half if not more, and it sure looks alot better.

Also maybe you should consider upgrading your Flexi 7.0 to the most current version of 7.6 v2, Scanvec has a couple of bugs still in it but much better than 7.6v1.

Just some food for thought

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
OK Using Flexi Pro 7.0 I wanted to have a contour cut of some text.

Ron, did you know that upgrading to the current version 7.6v2 is free to all registered owners of version 7 or higher? All you hasve to do is pay for the shipping.

captainron19

Fred Weiss said:
Ron, did you know that upgrading to the current version 7.6v2 is free to all registered owners of version 7 or higher? All you hasve to do is pay for the shipping.

No I didnt know that - thnaks Fred - Guess I never did the upgrade because I have been using for such a short time and never had a problem with it.
Gonna go and check into it now.

jayhawksigns

A note on upgrading I recommend NOT installing 7.6v1, v2 should be released shortly, still isn't on the download page yet, just call you dealer.

7.6v1 had problems to put it lightly.

SMSupply

FlexiSIGN 7.6v2 and PhotoPrint 4.6v2 are for ScanvecAmiable dealers ONLY at this time. It has been added more devices, fixed some bugs, but it also has some bugs inside and it is still being solved.:Oops:

jayhawksigns

v2 is buggy too. Sound like everyone in the programming field for computers can't do anything anymore.

Just like EA's Battlefield 2, that piece of gaming is awesome when it works, but its buggy as hell.