• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

contour cutting in Corel...

Tony Rome

This is so basic, I apologize ahead of time for posting.
When I create text with an outline in corel I have the toughest time putting a contour cut line for Versaworks around that outline.
I use Vesaworks with a Vesacamm 540V.
Usually I create an object of the outline, or sometimes I use the contour feature in Corel, am I doing this right?

Also what if you have a shape like, say a saw blade you need to contour cut, do I have to ust the pen tool to make the path or is there another way.

I just feel like I am doing things the long way, and am missing something a lot easier.
Thanks!

MikesSigns

One quick way, depending on image, is group and click on image, in the effects dropdown, create boundary, remove any color fill that may show up, and make its outline your cut contour color, regroup, export. For cutting basic text, all you should have to do is have the cut contour color your outline (right click on color pallet), export, and you should be good. Your cut contour color should be on your color pallet. Mine I set up as a red.

Tony Rome

One quick way, depending on image, is group and click on image, in the effects dropdown, create boundary, remove any color fill that may show up, and make its outline your cut contour color, regroup, export. For cutting basic text, all you should have to do is have the cut contour color your outline (right click on color pallet), export, and you should be good. Your cut contour color should be on your color pallet. Mine I set up as a red.
Right now I want to jump for joy and smash my head into a wall at the same time...that is definitely a great way to go.
I still have the problem with it when I have an image that already needs an outline color around it to be printed, say red letters black outline.
I would need the cut contour around the black outline, but it puts it on the red letter instead.
I am guessing I just need to "convert outline to object"? then use the create boundary?

Also, what would I do if I wanted the outline a little further then the image, in other words to have a gap of white in between contour line and image/text?
THANKS!

Is anyone else using this method, or are some using effects/contour?

I would think versaworks would have a contour feature to add in, guess not.

Bill43mx

Tony, I'll give this one a shot although it's way easier to do than it is to write out! *LOL* Start with your basic text, let's say the word "TEST". Now, instead of putting an outline around it create an outside contour (window,dockers,contour). Set the steps to 1, set the size of the offset, and then apply. Although you can, personally I never set the color in the contour tool....it's easier to do it in the next step. Now go to arrange, break contour group apart. You can now select the text, fill it to the correct color (red in your example), and set the outline width to "none". Next select the contour and fill it black. If you are going to contour cut around the black set the outline width to "hairline" and make the outline color whatever you have set for cut contour. If you are contour cutting around the black then at this point it's a good idea to add a "bleed" around it so select the contour and create another outside contour around it. We typically use .050" for bleed. Follow the same steps as previously to break the contour group apart and fill the contour black, then set the outline width to "none". If you instead want to add white around the first black contour and cut there then you would set the outline width on the black contour to "none" fill the outermost contour white and set it's outline width to "hairline" and it's color to your cut contor color. I hope that makes sense! If not send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number and talk you through it.

Tony Rome

Tony, I'll give this one a shot although it's way easier to do than it is to write out! *LOL* Start with your basic text, let's say the word "TEST". Now, instead of putting an outline around it create an outside contour (window,dockers,contour). Set the steps to 1, set the size of the offset, and then apply. Although you can, personally I never set the color in the contour tool....it's easier to do it in the next step. Now go to arrange, break contour group apart. You can now select the text, fill it to the correct color (red in your example), and set the outline width to "none". Next select the contour and fill it black. If you are going to contour cut around the black set the outline width to "hairline" and make the outline color whatever you have set for cut contour. If you are contour cutting around the black then at this point it's a good idea to add a "bleed" around it so select the contour and create another outside contour around it. We typically use .050" for bleed. Follow the same steps as previously to break the contour group apart and fill the contour black, then set the outline width to "none". If you instead want to add white around the first black contour and cut there then you would set the outline width on the black contour to "none" fill the outermost contour white and set it's outline width to "hairline" and it's color to your cut contor color. I hope that makes sense! If not send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number and talk you through it.
WOW, easy as pie with your directions!
THANKS!