• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cutting Scrim Vinyl??

PrintQueen

Hey y'all

Wondering if anyone has had any experiences with contour cutting 13oz scrim vinyl material?

We have a Graphtec FC8600. I work for a university, and our athletics department is asking if we can print vinyl and have it cut to a jersey shape. I'm thinking that this would end up being a custom/hand-cut job, where I'd print the vinyl with a border and essentially trace that line with an xacto blade.

Hoping they decide against this as a whole, but I figured I'd throw it out there to see if this would be a material that the Graphtec could handle cutting?
I'm assuming the answer is no, but it's worth a post, I suppose?

Thanks for looking, happy printing!

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I don't think it will cut it cleanly. You can take a scrap and try it, but I don't think it will cut to get the desired effect.

PrintQueen

I don't think it will cut it cleanly. You can take a scrap and try it, but I don't think it will cut to get the desired effect.
yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I have a blade to cut thicker materials, but I just don't think it's worth it to try to put the machine through the struggle.
Thanks for the reply :D

I would either hand cut it with an xacto or scissors. Put a very light outline where you want it cut unless you are printing the outline as part of the final image.

brdesign

Hey y'all

Wondering if anyone has had any experiences with contour cutting 13oz scrim vinyl material?

We have a Graphtec FC8600. I work for a university, and our athletics department is asking if we can print vinyl and have it cut to a jersey shape. I'm thinking that this would end up being a custom/hand-cut job, where I'd print the vinyl with a border and essentially trace that line with an xacto blade.

Hoping they decide against this as a whole, but I figured I'd throw it out there to see if this would be a material that the Graphtec could handle cutting?
I'm assuming the answer is no, but it's worth a post, I suppose?

Thanks for looking, happy printing!

For a small order it would be better to just hand cut it, or find someone with a flatbed cutter for a large order. Custom cut shapes on 13oz scrim banner may have a tendency to curl at the edges so you might try a sample before committing to the order. Even on flatbed cutter with a vacuum table cutting some shapes could be a pain with corners curling up and catching on the blade.