• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I use both CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator. Years ago I was even using Macromedia Freehand in addition to CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator. Freehand is now a dead application and Illustrator incorporated enough unique Freehand features to let me live without it.

I don't really care about which program is supposedly better. I'm just working to complete a project and have no problem at all hopping parts of it back and forth between more than one vector drawing application in order to get the results I want.

The stubborn fact is CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator each have numerous unique, exclusive features not found in the rival application. Because of this I find it necessary to use both.

CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator both don't do enough to overlap their rival's features to allow me to do everything using only one of them.

Regarding CorelDRAW and its ability to open Illustrator files, Corel X5 can open Illustrator CS5 files. However, little glitches can occur with how certain effects are treated when the art is imported. Gradients can shift. Text on path effects can go wonky. One annoying by small problem: Corel will often import compound paths from Illustrator where each compound path with have doubled pair of anchor points sitting on top of each other at some point along the path. This can be avoided by releasing the compound paths before saving a copy of the Illustrator file and then using the combine function in Corel to get them back together. I don't like two anchor points sitting on the same coordinate position in artwork. It can cause problems for things like creating G-Code files for the routing table.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
In an attempt to push this thread in a good direction (as opposed to the previous 8-page thread) here's a partial list of unique strengths/features in CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator.

Some strengths and unique features CorelDRAW has over Illustrator:

• Larger 100' x 100' workspace. Most signs can be designed at full size.
• Multiple pages & pages of different sizes.
• More tools for editing anchor points on objects.
• Controlled alignment/distribution of objects & anchor points in fewer clicks.
• More options for customizing functions in the user interface.
• Fillet, Scallop & Chamfer corner effects with numerical control.
• Isometric/parallel 3D extrusion effects.
• More Gradient Fill options (conical & square gradients).
• Much larger collection of fonts and clip art.

Some strengths and unique features Adobe Illustrator has over CorelDRAW:

• Superior PDF import/export.
• Superior color control.
• Can paste vector paths into Photoshop via the clipboard.
• Tight integration with Photoshop, InDesign & After Effects.
• Full OpenType Support (ligatures, custom fractions, alt characters, etc.).
• Asian type supported; vertical text tool, glyphs palette.
• Superior quality "brush" effects on open & closed paths.
• Superior rendering of path offset & outline effects.
• Control over placement of dots, dashes and arrowheads on lines (CS5).
• More pressure sensitive line effects for graphics tablets.
• Interactive gradients have control on color and transparancy.
• Width tool applies live, variable stroke widths on paths (CS5).
• Certain 3D and Envelope effects are unique to Illustrator.
• Free Beta HTML5 pack generates Interactive SVG, Canvas and CSS.

I'm sure each app has other unique features not listed here.

Justin

Thank you for posting that! I guess honestly I haven't toyed around with either one long enough to know what I would miss, or need.. I've just always played in illustrator and now more serious about it...

visual800

Ive seen awesome work on both programs . I learned on adobe illustrator and I prefer it. I have corel ONLY to open corel files. Other than that I do not play on it. I dont care about learning another program

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
All Adobe files? I did not think corel could open newer ones. Will x5 open cs 5 files? I always thought it was a few steps behind in import

The big issue with opening AI files in corel is that some effects may get lost in the transition.

Better to have both if you can afford it

EPS files still get screwy but AI files saved in native format can easily be imported into DRAW. Also since you're not having to save down to illustrator 8 ... you can leave strokes and gradients the same ... open paths still appear as blank circles though ... so you still have to worry about bad design ... little easier though.