• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel extra lines

Robert H. Bigart

I recently got Corel 10 and when I download a eps file and ouput it out to Dxf I get extra connecting lines between letters is this normal and how do I get rid of them.

:wine-smi:

Bob Bigart

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
7oaks said:
Corel will do it to .ai files text and images.

Yes and the workaround is to eliminate the Corel compounding before exporting which is the reason for the Break Apart command.

Robert H. Bigart

I need a good book, but simple, checked at Barns and Noble but all they had was Corel 12 and later, any suggestions.

Bob Bigart

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Robert H. Bigart said:
I need a good book, but simple, checked at Barns and Noble but all they had was Corel 12 and later, any suggestions.

Bob Bigart

Aren't "Half Price" Bookstores nationwide? For many years, I have been able to maintain a very extensive software book collection by shopping at Half Price.

One of the best publishers out there is SAMS. They sell "Teach yourself xxxx in 24 hours". They have good layouts written in ENGLISH. Even if it is a 12 book, it is still helpfull PLUS give you insight on what you would gain by upgrading.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
One question, Why do you need to go into .dxf?

This may be obvious, but there is a reason I ask......forget it, I got the answer, What version of Illustrator do you have? The later versions export to .dxf.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I'm not sure I understand the "extra lines" comment.

Very often when I work with customer provided .AI and .EPS files I find duplicate paths of lettering and other objects. To get things like certain outline stroke effects some Illustrator users will make multiple copies of the same object and leave them on top of each other -rather than expanding the effects and having only one path for each object.

Basically you end up having to delete the multiple copies of objects or your plotter blade is going to cut over the same spot of vinyl twice (or more).

When exporting artwork from CorelDRAW to Flexi (and using EPS or AI formats) I usually eliminate any pen/outline strokes before exporting. Solid fills on objects, no outlines.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
7oaks said:
Corel will do it to .ai files text and images.

If you are asking about the lines in closed compound shapes (like the center of "O"s, "A"s etc.) on export, make sure that "Simulate Complex Filled Curves" is unchecked (It is on by default) in the ai export dialog box.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• ai-export.jpg
    ai-export.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 164

Robert H. Bigart

I use DXF files because I do all my cutting from Plans 3.0 also all doctoring up of art in Plans.

I donot have Flexi.

Bob Bigart

I used to be indecisive
Now I'am not sure

Pete Moss

Waking up an old thread here. I have had this same issue with CorelDraw off and on forever. It only double duplicates once every blue moon. It seems to do it without rhyme or reason other than it seems to make a duplicate of the duplicate whenever copying or duplicating. Ending up with at least two if not more cut lines in output. The duplicates show before saving as another file type. It may only occur when there is a decent amount of data on the document and duplicates of that very data. All text is outlines and in the particular file I am working with today broken apart. Currently using CorelDraw x6. I cannot help but think this is a programming issue within Corel.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Duplicate objects (one object sitting on top of another identical object) can be caused a few different things. I see it a lot in customer provided artwork generated in Adobe Illustrator. The Outline Pen effect is the biggest culprit. I always "finalize" my artwork. If there are any outline effects in the artwork I either convert the outlines into their own editable paths or get rid of them.

In CorelDRAW I tend to use the Contour effect to generate real outline effects around letters or other objects rather than using pen tool settings. In Adobe Illustrator I use the Path Offset command rather than the outline effect for the same purpose. That eliminates issues where you have 2 or more identical objects stacked on top of each other when the artwork is imported into a sign making program like Flexi.

CorelDRAW's pen outline effect and Illustrator's outline effect will waste some of your time when you "flatten" or convert the outline effect to editable paths. You not only have the new path going outside of the source object, but another path running inside of it too. So you have to break everything apart and carefully delete the unwanted extra paths. CorelDRAW's Contour effect and Illustrator's Path Offset effect do not have that issue.