• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel to PDF issues...

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I save as pdf in corel quite a bit. Never anything that large. BUT if your art is not on the page or your page is not the correct size corel just assumes you wanted a blank page. My .02

No, when you "publish to pdf" or "save as pdf" Corel gives you 2 options in the settings. Page Size: "As defined in CorelDRAW" which means everything that's actually on the page or artboard or " Set by the selected objects" which means your selection can be anywhere on the workspace (I like this option best)

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Not really a limit with PDFs in general and obviously not with Corel -- it's an Adobe display limit. Corel can produce PDFs over this size that other viewers have no problems with (such as Foxit, as mentioned).

Regardless, most printers worth their salt should be able to process a file given at half-scale (50%), print at 200%, for a final size of 100%
It's the "worth their salt" part that is usually problematic.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
I would not say Corel is 'broken' if it allows a size larger than Adobe is currently willing to support. After all, other PDF viewers (as already mentioned) and editors allow the same transgression of the size limits that Adobe holds to.

Adobe effectively gave up control of the PDF 'standard' when they published the specs for it. As the graphics industry pushes the spec to better suit itself, Adobe is making a mistake in not adjusting along with the rest of the industry. (IMO)

So, no... Corel (or any other application supporting 'oversize' PDFs) is not 'broken' by any stretch -- I just see it that Adobe is lagging and that we have to sometimes work around that. If Adobe is smart and listening to their users, they will eventually get around to addressing this rather than stubbornly holding to their precious spec. :)

I agree. It is not a Corel issue. It shouodl be adressed by Adobe, who created the PDF format to begin with.

shoresigns

Well, I guess the issue here is what constitutes "breaking" the spec. To me, breaking the spec would could mean something like replacing elements of the spec. For instance, if a vendor began using the FooFoo Coordinate system to define shapes instead of the current coordinate system -- that would be 'breaking' the spec.

There's no grey area in a file format spec. It doesn't say the limit is "roughly 200 inches, give or take". It would be ludicrous for there to be allowances for "bending the rules" in a spec.

However, augmenting the usefulness of the spec, I would call... extending the spec. Increasing the size of the work area is really nothing more than changing an arbitrary number -- Adobe's arbitrary number. You know, the one they charge a premium for. And because this arbitrary number limits the usefulness for many, Adobe's recommendation is for the user to scale drawings -- which is utterly ludicrous in this era of advances in computing.

You clearly didn't read my last post. PDF allows for up to 15,000,000 inches. PDF documents can exceed 200 inches—the issue is that Corel formats documents over 200 inches incorrectly. The 14,400 unit limit is not "Adobe's arbitrary number". It's a number that Adobe used for compatibility with printer drivers. This explains why the 200 inch limit was extended with a multiplier, not by extending the original 14400 x 14400 unit limit. It was clearly done for legacy compatibility.

And Adobe doesn't charge a "premium" for use of the PDF spec. It's completely free for anyone to use in their software.

If vendors, like Corel, Foxit and others, will go out on a limb and support extending the spec, then good for them. Until Adobe relents from their protectionist stance, we'll just be mindful of these limitations and work around them when necessary.

Not sure what you mean by protectionist. PDF was originally a proprietary format, but it was released as an open standard in 2008. Use of the PDF format is royalty-free and there are many open-source libraries for processing PDFs that allow developers to use the PDF format in their software.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Working out of Corel, I PDF scale drawings. When it is time to manucfacture, I scale to full size and export to EPS. Simple.