• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel X3 error message

HiDesign

hi, i get the following message when working with documnets that contain power clipped images (tiff, jpeg)
"coreldrw.exe application error
the instruction at "0x245c8b53" referenced memory at "0x245c8b53"
the memory could not be read
click on ok to terminate the program"
sometimes the numbers change, but the program crashes.
any help would be appreciated.
my system is core 2 6600, 2mb ram, xp sp3

flyinhawaiian968

I had this a while back, and ended up having to reset Corel to get it to work properly again. Haven't had an issue with it ever since.

I'd suggest backing up your settings before doing a reset of X3. Try to restore your settings once you're done with the reset and see if it crashes again. If it does, reset it once more, but don't restore your settings, as something in it is causing X3 to wig out on ya!

To reset, hold down the F8 key when you double-click the icon to open the program. Answer yes when it asks you if you want to overwrite or reset the current workspace (or something like that, can't remember exactly now).

Chris

Oh yeah, you may also want to run a disk defrag, Cache Cleaner (free, just google it), and ATF Cleaner (also free). that will probably speed up your system just a tiny bit...

Goatboy

Couple of questions to help narrow things down a bit. Have you diverted more ram to Corel? Generally 75% is the best if you run other software in the background. Also, how full is your hard drive? The error your getting is due to Corels inability to access a chunck of virtual memory. So either your not giving enough or there simply isn't enough cache available causeing a read error.

HiDesign

thanks for the responses, i used the f8 and reset method, no probs anymore. my c drive has 14gb free (36gb raptor). i have corel's ram set to use 50%, although i remember reading that this setting has been irrelevant since after windows98, something to do with updated vm and ram management in later releases of windows. evidently corel knows about this but has yet to remove the option, at least in x3 (dont know if its in x4?). not trying to argue but i thought you may find that interesting\odd.
also the problem i had only occured in files that contained powerclipped tiffs, jpegs etc, never a prob if the file contained vectors only. i will do a clean up of the system as suggeted. thanks again.

flyinhawaiian968

glad to hear the reset worked. It usually does, and so far (knock on wood!!!!) the last reset of mine about 4 months ago has resulted in Corel working perfectly since!

On a related note, I had to format my rip machine and reinstall everything about 2 weeks ago, and after installing Corel X3, I just grabbed the workspace setting file from my main machine and restored it in the back machine! It's almost identical to the front machine now, and I didn't have to waste 15 minutes going through all the prefs!

Chris