• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News Coreldraw 2017 (new Version)

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
I'd be willing to bet CorelDraw 2017 is the patch file for CorelDraw X8, If they follow their usual pattern. So looks lile I will have to shell out $200 to make my CorelDraw work without crashing.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The Live Sketch tool in CorelDRAW 2017 seems a little similar to Astute Graphics' Dynamic Sketch plugin for Adobe Illustrator CC. Dynamic Sketch is best used with a stylus on a graphics tablet or monitor that allows drawing on screen. It's cumbersome using a mouse (and certain features like pressure and tilt settings aren't available). Wacom and Microsoft are making more on-screen drawing products, but they're expensive. The Microsoft Surface Studio looks pretty cool, but the high price will give most people sticker shock (especially with the arguably outdated graphics card in it).

Most of the other new features involve graphics tablet stylus or touch screen use. The new ways how nodes are displayed and interactive sliders might be useful for people with a regular mouse & keyboard setup. But a $199 upgrade price for those two things might be a bit steep. When closing CorelDRAW X8 yesterday I saw a pop-up saying the CorelDRAW 2017 upgrade was $129 for a limited time. I don't know if that just applies to users of X8.

Certain features in CorelDRAW X8 have been very sluggish, like font menu performance. It's slow even when many fonts are filtered from view. I'm wondering if CorelDRAW 2017 offers any improvement over that or slows down performance even worse.

WildWestDesigns

The Live Sketch tool in CorelDRAW 2017 seems a little similar to Astute Graphics' Dynamic Sketch plugin for Adobe Illustrator CC. Dynamic Sketch is best used with a stylus on a graphics tablet or monitor that allows drawing on screen.

Dynamic Sketch has been around for awhile. I use it on CS6 (I think it goes as far back as CS5).

I've only ever used it with a Wacom Cintiq. I use it all the time. All my original designs start off as a sketch and it's incredibly handy for that type of work. Plus it allows for the Wacom Airbrush pen support, which isn't supported natively in Ai CS6, but it is in Ps CS6, go figure).

For me it kinda sucks, my digitizing software is linked to x8 and this particular version is only just now coming out. So while I'm on the latest release of that, I'm behind on DRAW. At the price point of this software, it kinda sucks.

Asuma01

My first impression is that it takes way too long to get all my settings, palettes and color profiles set up to mirror my previous workflow. Would be nice if they could streamline that part.

Asuma01

Running into awesome font issues. These are the same fonts, nothing has changed on my end. Corel wants to change the names of the fonts for some reason.

2017-04-18_103408.jpg

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
CorelDRAW has had strange font substitution bugs for some time. I'll open an existing CorelDRAW document and the application will claim all the fonts used in the document are missing even though they're installed on the computer. Under the suggested match table the dialog box will show the same fonts but with slightly different arrangements of the name or even just the same exact thing. I think this has been going on since version X6, when CorelDRAW finally adopted the full feature set of OpenType.

Likewise, I'll see font substitution issues if I send artwork from CorelDRAW over to Adobe Illustrator. Some of the fonts turn up missing even though they're installed on the computer. Often Myriad Pro is put in place. I don't like the font substitution dialog box in Adobe Illustrator.

Sidney

The Live Sketch tool in CorelDRAW 2017 works pretty good. It's pretty smooth and accurate, especially for the digital artists that use Wacom, Ugee Tablets etc. I have used Wacom tablets for 20 years and The Live Sketch tool has a definite value.:)

Asuma01

New version is a bust (again). I've gone through two weeks of tech support trying to get the bugs worked out. The demo period ran out yesterday and now they won't even help me anymore.. wtf?! I'm half tempted to post all 14 tech support emails I've gotten so everyone can see how useless they have been. I asked if I could get an extension on the demo and was told to kick rocks and to keep using our old version.

Our company is still running on version X6, we haven't been able to upgrade due to crashes and other bugs in X7, X8, and now 2017.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We upgraded to x8 a couple months ago... It wasn't a improvement over x7 in anyway. We will probably wait till 2018 comes out before we consider upgrading.

WildWestDesigns

Still happy with 12. See no reason, especially now, to upgrade.

There is something to be said with legacy software. Safety in stability.

I run programs that are from the 9x era that are as still as efficient for today as they were back then. In fact, one of my digitizing programs is from that same time frame as DRAW 12.

Big Rice Field

So far so good. I am running Corel Draw 2017 exclusively now and it is much more stable than X8. I like the new node designators too.

ams

Corel X8 is quite amazing, but I don't know what 2017 is all about?
By the way I have zero issues with X8, you just need to download the patch from the website and your good.

equippaint

Gotya thanks. That's one thing I like better with inkscape, their node editing to me is a lot easier. Inkscape auto trace is way better too. X7 drives me nuts, and Im a little apprehensive about upgrading for fear of having the same buggy issues like the flyouts and contour getting hung up and grayed out

Big Rice Field

The Live Sketch tool in CorelDRAW 2017 seems a little similar to Astute Graphics' Dynamic Sketch plugin for Adobe Illustrator CC. Dynamic Sketch is best used with a stylus on a graphics tablet or monitor that allows drawing on screen. It's cumbersome using a mouse (and certain features like pressure and tilt settings aren't available). Wacom and Microsoft are making more on-screen drawing products, but they're expensive. The Microsoft Surface Studio looks pretty cool, but the high price will give most people sticker shock (especially with the arguably outdated graphics card in it).

Most of the other new features involve graphics tablet stylus or touch screen use. The new ways how nodes are displayed and interactive sliders might be useful for people with a regular mouse & keyboard setup. But a $199 upgrade price for those two things might be a bit steep. When closing CorelDRAW X8 yesterday I saw a pop-up saying the CorelDRAW 2017 upgrade was $129 for a limited time. I don't know if that just applies to users of X8.

Certain features in CorelDRAW X8 have been very sluggish, like font menu performance. It's slow even when many fonts are filtered from view. I'm wondering if CorelDRAW 2017 offers any improvement over that or slows down performance even worse.

I paid the $199 just to get a Corel program that would not crash on drag and drop. I consider it to be an expensive patch file.