• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDRAW-generated SVG files not working in Onyx Thrive Cut Server

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Sometimes we'll use Onyx Thrive to do cut-only operations with a 48" wide plotter. The cut jobs require SVG files. Normally we generate those in Adobe Illustrator, and those SVG files work just fine. Now we have a cut job that is 20' long, which is past the max art board size limits of Adobe Illustrator. So we're trying to use CorelDRAW to generate the SVG files. The Onyx Thrive manual says SVG files from CorelDRAW are supported. But nothing generated from CorelDRAW will show up in the Thrive Cut Server. When the SVG file is selected Thrive will display some processing time bar thingie and then just show a blank page whereas the Illustrator-generated SVG files pull up into view instantaneously.

Does anyone here have any luck bringing CorelDRAW-generated SVG files into Thrive Cut Server? If so, what specific settings are being used?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
To get around the problem quickly, use Illustrator, Scale down to 20" and then scale up in Onyx by 1200%. That will at least get your job going. Can't help with the Corel part though.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Solventinkjet said:
To get around the problem quickly, use Illustrator, Scale down to 20" and then scale up in Onyx by 1200%. That will at least get your job going. Can't help with the Corel part though.

We can scale artwork in the printing section. Unfortunately there are no scaling options in the cut server side.

WildWestDesigns said:
Maybe try Inkscape, as SVG files are it's native format and it does have a larger artboard (if wanting to work 1:1).

If Inkscape can support a 20' wide art board then we'll just have to use that. I haven't messed with Inkscape in several years, so I don't know its max art board size. The Onyx Cut Server manual says to save SVG files in Inkscape in Plain SVG format, not Inkscape's own SVG format. The manual says those kinds of SVG files don't work well.

One would think the folks at Onyx would have had some answers regarding the CorelDRAW-generated SVG files. Those just don't work at all. I don't think they should be mentioning CorelDRAW-generated SVG files if all they do is produce a blank document in Onyx Cut Server.

WildWestDesigns

20' should work just fine.

Only thing that I can think of between the 2 types of SVG files is the XML markup (look at both in a plain text editor). Plain SVGs are not as verbose in XML markup as the default.

I'll use plain SVGs when creating PWAs. Much better for JS interaction. Might be along the same lines here. Dunno.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Having loaded up the latest version of Inkscape, I remembered the application didn't support spot colors. At least it didn't the last time I used it. How does one assign a custom spot color named "CutContour" to an outline stroke in Inkscape? I don't see any options in the Fill & Stroke dialog box.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Having loaded up the latest version of Inkscape, I remembered the application didn't support spot colors. At least it didn't the last time I used it. How does one assign a custom spot color named "CutContour" to an outline stroke in Inkscape? I don't see any options in the Fill & Stroke dialog box.

I don't believe you need to use cutcontour or any spot colors for cut only to onyx cut server, do you? http://www.onyxgfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ONYX11_1-Cut-Only.pdf

I've also had no success using this workflow out of Corel. Not sure I tried Illustrator yet though, I just gave up.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I can't get anything from Inkscape to work correctly. Maybe it's a bug with this latest version. But the art board in SVG files output from Inkscape come into Thrive Cut Server only showing a 12" X 24" art board and the graphics going way out of those bounds. That's confirmed by opening the Inkscape-generated SVG files in Illustrator.

I don't understand why Onyx' Thrive Cut Server only supports the SVG format and not others like EPS and PDF. Some of the Onyx documentation online appears to say EPS and PDF files can be used for cutting purposes. But SVG is the only format actually shown in the Cut Server's file import dialog box.

WildWestDesigns

Give this one a try. It's just a simple circle. It says 227.5 on Ai CS6 (gotta love VMs).

It was created in Inkscape 1.0 using the SVG 1.1 settings.

It should be 287.1 in, at least that's how it shows up in Inkscape.

Attachments

• drawing.zip
    702 bytes · Views: 151