• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDRAW - Version Upgrades Going Bye Bye, Subscription-Only Soon

WildWestDesigns

If the product that is being sold does not meet user expectations and is sluggish, buggy garbage the customers should have ZERO obligation to buy it. Even if the company is giving existing users an ultimatum to upgrade or else.

Yes, it's called finding an alternative.

They either change or they don't.

Now, it may seem like I'm going against the consumer, think about it, if the consumer is aware of a little bit more about this, what's in the EULA, what's expected, it helps keep them from being more of a victim.

As to if that should or shouldn't be the case, that's up for a nice debate, but it is what it is.

You might not think it's a great product, but I do and have been pretty happy with the purchase. So we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

You just can't go without a strawman can you?

I said I wasn't a fan of the small form factor ARM devices. I didn't say it was a crap product (or any negative derivation there of). Just because I prefer to work on larger screens doesn't mean that anything that is smaller is crap product in of itself.

I'm not a fan of Corel Draw by any means, but I wouldn't say it's a crap product (but my experience is based on X5, X6 and I have a copy of X6, no experience of the latest version). However, having said that, products that were great products, doesn't mean that they don't slide to crap products. It all depends and people should always be evaluating.

I've done sketches on old envelops and on the little notepads that they put in "your" hotel room. Those are sufficient to get the job done. The difference is preference.

Last edited:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
WildWestDesigns said:
You just can't go without a strawman can you?

Go back and read what you wrote. Your comments about the iPad Pro and using it for drawing purposes were clearly dismissive. "When you're used to a 27" QHD it's on the small side of things." That sounds like enough of a dig against the iPad to me. You didn't say anything positive. Accusing me of putting words in your mouth and then trying to walk back your comments as "fair and balanced" is a crock.

WildWestDesigns said:
I've done sketches on old envelops and on the little notepads that they put in "your" hotel room. Those are sufficient to get the job done. The difference is preference.

Yeah, but clearly you don't respect my own preferences or that of a number of other participants in this forum. I swear, it seems like every time I post a comment in this thread or a number of others you respond almost immediately. And it's almost always in a tone of correcting me, as if I'm some kind of newbie computer user rather than someone with over 30 years of experience. If anyone mentions having a work PC connected to the Internet you often respond to that with the same comment we've all seen 1000 times already. The freaking iPad Pro and using it for sign design purposes isn't even the point of this thread. Its only relevance is the rival applications to CorelDRAW that can run on iOS (as well as other platforms).

WildWestDesigns

Go back and read what you wrote. Your comments about the iPad Pro and using it for drawing purposes were clearly dismissive. "When you're used to a 27" QHD it's on the small side of things." That sounds like enough of a dig against the iPad to me.

On my travel laptop, I use a 12WX. It is a solid product, it does it's job. I would say the exact same thing. It is on the small side of things compared to even the 21UX, much less the 27QHD. If people were to ask, at minimum I would suggest the 24 to 27" Cintics (I don't think they make the 22" anymore, certainly not the 21UX, I have the last of that generation).

The smaller Wacom is still a bang up product and I would say the same thing that I did with the iPad.

You didn't say anything positive.

I can say something positive, it would be irrelevant to the conversation, but it would be positive. I have always thought that iPads (and Apple products in general) had gorgeous screens. Still do. I love using my iPad for travel entertainment.

Accusing me of putting words in your mouth and then trying to walk back your comments as "fair and balanced" is a crock.

I try very hard to not "move the goal post", if that has occurred, then that is my bad.

Yeah, but clearly you don't respect my own preferences or that of a number of other participants in this forum.

Asking for backing up of claims is how I learn, if I'm wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time and certainly not the last) point out to where I'm wrong. If what you counter with doesn't reconcile with something else, show me that despite those counter claims, what is said is still kosher.

I know you don't have time to read and reply to everything I post, but that's part of the reason why I try to do the posts in the way that I do. I try to be as clear as I can be and with everything (at least at the time of the posting) to support that claim.

And it's almost always in a tone of correcting me, as if I'm some kind of newbie computer user rather than someone with over 30 years of experience.

See above answer with regard to the supposed tone (gotta love communication methods that don't convey inflections).

As far as years experience, I've used it on occasion, I try not to, because years of experience doesn't always convey a strong support of the claim. We would like it to, but things change, what was true isn't exactly the same, especially if one hasn't kept up with the times (I'm talking in generalities, not anyone specifically). As "we" get older, we tend to settle and not want to deal with keeping on with learning anything. That's not everyone, I'm over generalizing, but I would say more often then not (at least 51% of the time) that's true.

In some areas, things change so rapidly it's hard to keep up with everything.

For instance, my mom who was a programmer back in the 60s and who still uses Ps CS6 to this day, so that's ~50 yrs of experience with computers. What she knows, she knows well, but some stuff she hasn't kept up with.

So years of experience has it's pros and cons.

If anyone mentions having a work PC connected to the Internet you often respond to that with the same comment we've all seen 1000 times already.

Often that said post that I respond to usually is talking about update issues (which is pretty normal thing nowadays), malware, ransomware etc that has halted production. That default response of mine helps prevent that issue especially if one is using software that isn't dependent on the internet. If it's still applicable, I would think that it is still worth mentioning. Not much different then a lot of other posts that are mentioned over and over again. If the answer is still good, then it should be still worth mentioning. If it is no longer applicable, all the production software is subscription based with cloud functionality yada yada yada, then my default answer would be backups, backups, backups (true backups, what some think of as backups aren't really backups, but something is better then nothing I reckon).

Now, while I try to be a positive contributing member, if what I say is total bunk and not worth reading and has zero merit, there is always the ignore function. I would like to think that I'm not on the same line of posting as those that post "what they want because they can and it pleases them", but maybe I'm wrong. While I try not to be like that, maybe my execution of that falls all so very short.

Last edited:

Jim Hill

Some how this thread has gotten side tracked into another debate.
Let's agree to disagree on certain things and move on.

We all can believe whatever we want to believe and trying to make someone else believe what you think is correct sometimes is a big waste of time.

Jim

Johnny Best

Some how this thread has gotten side tracked into another debate.
Let's agree to disagree on certain things and move on.

We all can believe whatever we want to believe and trying to make someone else believe what you think is correct sometimes is a big waste of time.

Jim
I agree and the sad part is I read all the back and forth. Its up to 7 pages of posts! It is interesting to read the arguments and wonder what they are trying to accomplish except building up their typing skills. It has been an interesting read from Bobby H and Wild West on size matters conversation.

Jim Hill

My question is if I already have bought and paid for my Corel X-8 why can I not just start the subscription service paying the monthly charge for updates?

Why do I have to pay them the $199.99 first. Is this simply for the right to start paying the monthly charge?

Jim

WildWestDesigns

Did you check the Output Pro extension that I mentioned for Inkscape to see if that got you a better CMYK color space?

I think the issue is that SVG is more geared to web, which is RGB and Inkscape is either going to need to go to it's own format (say .ink (I know original)) or have to handle this via extensions (such as Output Pro) if wanting to keep everything within Inkscape and not use another program for printing needs.

Why do I have to pay them the $199.99 first. Is this simply for the right to start paying the monthly charge?

This is me speculating, but it looks like it defaults to the yearly method (which is typically also the cheaper method). All of the FAQs that I've seen, seem to make it look like you have to go through your Corel account to change from yearly to monthly etc.

Although, there could be some minimums attached to just first starting out with the subscription. I haven't looked too much into it, but just from a cursory look, this is what I'm speculating is going on.

Jim Hill

My question is if I already have bought and paid for my Corel X-8 why can I not just start the subscription service paying the monthly charge for updates?

Jim

No I did not check that out yet!
Once I saw that Inkscape does not support CYMK which the only thing I use because all of my work is for print media.

Thanks Jim