• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDraw X5 won't initialize

Robert Boyd

This morning one of our Windows 7/64bit machines won't initialize/load
CorelDraw X5. It starts loading then gets stuck on "loading user preferences"
We have done a repair from the installation disk, a total uninstall including the corel windows shell extension. The last file we worked on was corrupted ( I tried opening on another computer) I deleted that corrupted file. We even tried installing on the XP virtual machine. It will not install. This is a authentic version we purchased from Corel. It has been working for over a year on a computer that has a xeon quad core and 8 gigs of ram.
We did notice some unusual performace problems the last few days.The program seem a little sluggish and yesterday, corel was having a problem cutting and pasting.

Shadowglen

I am contemplating going back to Corel x4 x5 is one of the buggiest versions I have had and I have been using Corel since ver 4 18 years ago. just make sure if you do go lower that you use a machine with x5 running and save all of the files in x4 or lower or you will not be able to open them.

Robert Boyd

Thats discouraging - we have been using x5 for over a year, down saving isn't a good option. X5 has been a little buggy for us. I just understand that a total reinstall isn't working
and we did a restore back to a month ago. At this point is X6 any better?

Shadowglen

Was this an upgrade or was x5 the first corel you installed? Also did you do a free online trial before purchasing it?

Robert Boyd

Coreldraw X5 was a clean install from a DVD on a brand new computer - about 18 months ago. We just downloaded the X6 version, just to see if it works and it does.

Turbophein

this just happened to me 2 days ago! corel was very sluggish so i restarted the computer and it will no longer boot up, stays stuck on loading user settings. i deleted corel and reinstalled and it still doe snot work. i had to download corel x7 trial to stay working, bu t i am not use to it and i am working way to slow...

i bought x5 new also and have been using it for about 2 years. anyone figure what happened.

k_graham

A few versions of Coreldraw back I had that issue of Corel not starting.

Turned out the default printer, a network printer was down for repairs. If not that hold the F8 key while starting and reset to default, then save a new profile of settings.

2 other issues, bad spot on hard drive,
Solution
low level format drive.
Corrupted CMOS you will swear you have a virus but nothing finds it.
Solution , remove battery that stores CMOS settings.

CMOS And hard drive are most easily confirmed by having a known good disk image. I use Clonezilla.org 64 bit version now as it makes a image at about 2 gigs a minute on USB2 and does a verify useable image when done. Www.redobackup.org is easier but doesnt verify image.

Both are free though donations are welcomed, I suggest a disk cleanup and check 1st and then keeping 2 backup images. Glary Utilities via ninite.com is good for this.

I do have 1 xeon system that would make a backup with Redobackup1.03 but not 1.04 so some exceptions occur.

Ken

Turbophein

I had to make a new user on the computer and then reloaded corel x5

strange i just made a new profile account and then i just clicked on thecorel icon to open it and it did. all my settings were reset and it had the welcome screen but it works. it still will not work on my main profile though.