• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corrupt Corel Draw blocks your purchased software with a viral update

CentralSigns

I have used CorelDraw for 15 years. Can't remember what version I jumped into at, but have had X5, X7, and X8. Yesterday they gave me a new update. They sent an update to make the software useless in version X8, claiming that it was pirated and they were stopping my use of it. In print it says unless this is a purchased version, then call the 1-800 number for a fix.

So I called the number and they tried to upsell me to the new version of the software, claiming that they no longer support the X8 version.. I argued that their live update made my version useless, and they can't do that. So they said they no longer support this version and I need to purchase the new 2020 version offered at an upgrade price of I think it was $200 rather than the $400+ at at later date. I argued I'm not prepared at this time to upgrade to the new version that i have purchased the program years ago and have upgraded 3 times. They claimed the only way to fix the issue is to buy the yearly version today. I blew up and threatened to call the lawyer i have on retainer for the company to look at suing Corel for lost production in my shop due to them. That could be thousands a day, or more. She had my name and company id and phone numbers, all without giving her any info. I also argued that I wanted to continue using software I had purchased legally with no indication that use would expire at any date after purchased, and that I own the software that I purchased. I argued for 10 min till finally and continued to threaten lawsuit for lost production, and finally they gave me a fix it ticket number and said they would provide a fix in an email later today.

Anyone else have this issue with these slimy bastar*****. I have been already thinking of using a different software due to the flakiness of version X8. The program glitches and crashes at least every couple days. All you have to due is nudge something and poof it closes. Then you have it set to save data every 5 min but it fails to do that, and as well it has a feature to allow you to open previously worked on files by a list that hasn't been updated in months or years even

I think Corel just lost another shop that was happy with the early versions, due to there crocked update, and newest version, messed marketing program, of forced upgrade. I will not be held captive by my design software ever. Anyone else who was intimidated by their flawed marketing strategy? Tell us your story!!

oh and I'll update you as soon as they decide to email me the fix for X8 that they made unusable

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That's rough. I like Draw but have not upgraded for a while. My old copy does what I need and AI takes care of client's files. Think I will continue to stay away.

I knew we couldn't trust those crafty Canadians

Jim Hill

I just want to make sure I understand what's going on.
You said CorelDraw send you an update that you down loaded and now your version of X-8 no longer works. Is that part correct?

I have been using X-8 for over a year and I desided not to upgrade to their new monthly subcribtion service and just stay with X-8 because I am 73 and will retire within the next few months and I have used CorelDraw for many years.
I realize I will no longer receive any new updates and I am fine with that.

At the time you down loaded the CorelDraw update did you know they had started their monthly service subcribtion on January 20, 2020?

If they even try to offer me an update I will not now except it because it sounds like a trap to me.

Thanks Jim

geb

that sucks, and calling Corel support is very difficult to understand their supporters. Seeing you legally bought and paid for a product, they now disable, I would be very very very...……….

CentralSigns

Jin Hill. Be careful, this is predatory as far as I am concerned I'm not sure how it happened just assumed it was a automatic update. I just opened the X8 and I had this screen saying that what I had was pirated software. It gave me the support number which corresponded with the tec support number online to Corel. then it said call if you have documentation proof of the purchase of the software and we can help. I called there and they were supposed to send me an email with procedures to fix it. I checked the email that they emailed me and it contained nothing. My software is still inopenable.

WildWestDesigns

There was another user that had this problem as well. I think it was X4, but complained about the same thing.

This isn't going to be easy to try to go in your favor. Have to remember, we don't actually buy programs, but licenses to use programs. I find it repugnant that this stuff goes on, but it really isn't going to be that easy to get them to change.

I looked at the comments on the above link and I find it ironic that an X5 user had issues (and X4 if I'm remembering correctly the version of the other S101 member, I think it was Adrian, but I can't say for sure). X5 didn't require activation, so they must have registered it for support (something that I don't normally do, I did it with CS6 as having an account was required for activation and I think that requirement started with CS5.5, but I didn't get that version since I had 5).

Now with regard to the fix, it is quite possible that this might have to be done again after so long, especially if you still have that computer hooked up to the internet. It's obviously phoning home, so it's quite possible that it will do so again.

CentralSigns

I called and talked to a supervisor who fixed it. What a predatory move on Corels part. If I hadn't got mad it still would not be working, or I'd be forcefully purchasing the new version. This is so slimy on their part. After reading the reviews on the current Corel software i think I'll be migrating to Adobe products in the near future, although they may be just as bad from the past shenanigans they have used

d fleming

Do you have an install cd for your version? Seems to me you could just reinstall from disk. I have 12 and have no intentions of upgrading. All I ever hear is people complain about the newer versions. I am slowing down in sign biz until I decide to retire from it. I have migrated my shop and efforts into a craft distillery and am enjoying that, so no need for the newest best of everything. No more printers, fine with my graphtec and cadlink software. All my software I have install disks for so I shouldn't have any problems in the future but I'll cross my fingers. Never had to upgrade a quill, lol.

WildWestDesigns

After reading the reviews on the current Corel software i think I'll be migrating to Adobe products in the near future, although they may be just as bad from the past shenanigans they have used

Six in one, half a dozen in the other.

Do you have an install cd for your version? Seems to me you could just reinstall from disk.

That could be an option, but since the OP is on X8, it would be at the cost of a seat. Depending on how many seats used up, may not be able to activate it and be in the same boat. Although with less of a leg to stand on compared to this situation.

Although to add to the disc suggestion. I would rip the disc to an ISO. That's a very good way to back up a disc and most modern OSs will mount an ISO as if it was a physical optical disc media. The reason that I would suggest this, is optical drives on computers seem to be on their way out. Not seeing many computers come with them, especially if one is getting an off the shelf computer. However, if do rip a disc to an ISO, I would highly suggest using disc burning software and not compression software. Compression software will tend to truncate file names and that's no bueno if trying to install programs in this manner.

kheebl

My X7 started acting up today also when i try to use macros. I don't have a message the OP does just a pop up window when I click on a macro. any ideas of a fix. I tried to repair from install disc and still no luck.

Attachments

• VBA Problem.png
    VBA Problem.png
    16 KB · Views: 192

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
CentralSigns said:
Anyone else have this issue with these slimy bastar*****. I have been already thinking of using a different software due to the flakiness of version X8. The program glitches and crashes at least every couple days. All you have to due is nudge something and poof it closes. Then you have it set to save data every 5 min but it fails to do that, and as well it has a feature to allow you to open previously worked on files by a list that hasn't been updated in months or years even

That's strange you're having so many glitches with CDR X8. In my own experience using it on my home laptop, work desktop and seeing co-workers' experience with it version X8 has been one of the more stable recent releases. My only complaint with X8 is how slow files will open and how sluggish type operations can be, but that's all due to the Corel's Font Manager application. Font performance speeds up with fewer fonts in the collection (and fewer fonts installed in the OS). I usually have filters turned on to see fonts only installed directly in the OS.

Regarding your X8 purchase, did you register your copy and create a user account with Corel? I only ask because so many people don't bother registering their software and creating user accounts with e-mail addresses and passwords unless an online activation system forces them to do.

I think CorelDRAW also has a limit for how many times the software can be re-installed and re-activated. I wonder if that could be the root of the problem. Normally most software companies will reset the counter when you call their customer service line. I've definitely done that with Astute Graphics plug-ins for Illustrator.

GAC05 said:
I knew we couldn't trust those crafty Canadians

Reminder: Corel might be based in Canada, but they take their marching orders from the American vulture capital guys who own Corel. Vector Capital recently sold off Corel to KKR. So, with Corel carrying an additional debt load from that transaction, we can probably expect more untrustworthy nonsense from the vulture capital people.

d fleming said:
Do you have an install cd for your version? Seems to me you could just reinstall from disk.

CorelDRAW versions X6 and later require online activation when installed. If the folks at Corel flagged the serial number of his copy of X8 it wouldn't do any good to reinstall and re-activate.

WildWestDesigns said:
Six in one, half a dozen in the other.

That's definitely the case now since Corel has gone the subscription only route with new versions. But the difference between Corel and Adobe is Adobe has a bunch more industry standard graphics applications used by far more people. Corel doesn't have the kind of leverage Adobe does since most of the graphics and advertising industry trades files in Adobe-centric formats. I think Corel has taken a very big risk with the subscription-only model and could potentially lose a lot of customers over it.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

That's definitely the case now since Corel has gone the subscription only route with new versions. But the difference between Corel and Adobe is Adobe has a bunch more industry standard graphics applications used by far more people. Corel doesn't have the kind of leverage Adobe does since most of the graphics and advertising industry trades files in Adobe-centric formats. I think Corel has taken a very big risk with the subscription-only model and could potentially lose a lot of customers over it.

Absolutely true, but that would make the potential of the OPs situation likely to go from bad to worse, considering Adobe is coming from a much better bargaining position.

I do think though a combination of subscription model and their very lackluster 2019 release. That's going to be a 1-2 combination that may very well lead to a death knell. Unless 2020 (this yearly release cadence is a crock) release quashes all those concerns and I do mean all of them. It has to get back on to par stability wise.

Jburns

Not to derail the thread - but Wildwest can you tell me what ISO program (edit: to make ISO file from disc) you like, that I can use on Windows 7?

WildWestDesigns

Not to derail the thread - but Wildwest can you tell me what ISO program (edit: to make ISO file from disc) you like, that I can use on Windows 7?

Most any disc burning software will be able to handle the ISO creation. The big reason why I suggest disc burning software over compression software (even though a lot of compression software can also create ISOs is that in my experience (and this is just my experience) compression software won't warn you when it's going to truncate file names (especially if they are following some format schema like 8.3) and truncated file names will not work if you try to click on the installer help stub and then it is looking for programxyz.exe, but you only have programx.exe in the ISO. And to add on top of that, some compression software can only handle so many subdirectories.

visual800

and this kids is why you dont need to register any software or accept any updates....actually not registering the software would keep them from trying to send updates.....I get so damn sick of getting on here and telling you guys to stop updating stuff. YOU DO NOT NEED UPDATES if your stuff is running good and its being productive dont update it

Last edited:

ams

I've had X8 since it came out and little to no issues. Most of my computers use it flawlessly. I did have an old slow beat down computer that gave that pirated message, but it has since gone away. It was probably a bad update with a bug, and is fixed. You can reinstall back to the original copy if you want. But I was never forced to upgrade.