• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corrupt Corel Draw blocks your purchased software with a viral update

WildWestDesigns

and this kids is why you dont need to register any software or accept any updates....actually not registering the software would keep them from trying to send updates.....I get so damn sick of getting on here and telling you guys to stop updating stuff. YOU DO NOT NEED UPDATES if your stuff is running good and its being productive dont update it

I don't think necessary this was an update. Sending a msg like this could easily be done sans update.

As far as registration goes, some software vendors make it mandatory that a user registers a product. I know I had to with CS6, in fact, part of the activation was signing into said account. I think it started with CS5.5 (which I didn't get as I don't believe in point releases being a major version and as such trigger monetary cost update).

As to needing updates, I partially agree. Updates are a double edge sword, they bring instability at bare minimum. When OEMs add extra fluff to the update, makes it even worse. Are updates in general needed.... yes. So software is ever free from bugs or vulnerabilities. Just because a particular workflow that you have may not trigger it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. That's the problem. Then, of course, you could have a working/productive software, but it isn't very secure. There are quite a few reasons why one would need to update.

Todd Jelle

Corel really pisses me off, Sorry. I have used it since running v3 not x3, on windows 3.1. I still have the original books it came with as well as a copy of support books like "corel draw 5 personal reference". It was great software the I feel got better & better until about V7, Upon release of V8, I realized something was changing. Updates didn't work, software crashed frequently, & it was just generally buggy. They no longer seemed to care about repairs & patches, just selling an upgrade. X3 was okay & I still have a copy I resort to on an XP machine. I have x7 on win7 & its plagued with issues. Its now a scam for money with little to no real support. Its a shame how they run it & play games with you now. It could be great software, but IMO never be what it used to be.

WildWestDesigns

img
I've used Daemon Tools Lite for years without issue, not sure about wildwest

I just use disc burning software that one gets if buying your own optical drive (internal or external doesn't matter). Unless it's really a cheap off brand. I've been happy with Nero in the past, but I haven't used it in years, so I don't know if it's still any good. The version that I had came with my drive (I always done custom builds during the Win 7 days). That's really all that I used when on Windows. Now on Linux, I can either use disc burning software (either K3B or Brasero depending on what DE I'm running at the time, although I'm more of a Plasma fan which means K3B) or I have a right click menu setup in Dolphin (think Windows Explorer) that uses makeiso with an option to handle more characters and larger folder hierarchy and that works just fine. Even have a right click menu option to mount said ISO as well. Works great.

For Win 7, jburns, to mount you'll need a program to help the OS. There is a portable program that I liked called PortableWinCDEmu. That works just fine.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Reading through the Corel user forums on this topic it doesn't seem like there is any obvious condition that brings up the "illegal software" message. Some of the people receiving the message said they were registered users, had user accounts, etc. The thread Unclebun linked does at least show a couple of fixes for getting rid of the message.

Maybe it's yet another CorelDRAW bug, something rooted in their messages system: the thing that brings up the pop-ups in the lower right corner of the workspace or big in the middle of the screen when quitting an older version of CorelDRAW.

WildWestDesigns said:
I do think though a combination of subscription model and their very lackluster 2019 release. That's going to be a 1-2 combination that may very well lead to a death knell. Unless 2020 (this yearly release cadence is a crock) release quashes all those concerns and I do mean all of them. It has to get back on to par stability wise.

It was a big mistake for Corel to adopt a yearly release schedule. Even on the previous 2 year schedule they were struggling to pack enough improvements and new features into CorelDRAW and other applications to make those upgrades decent. It's easy to understand why they moved to a yearly update schedule. First, they wanted to give off the appearance they were "keeping up" with Adobe and its yearly release schedule of Creative Cloud applications. Next (and this is really the big one) the venture capital honchos had dollars in their eyes. "Hey, we've been getting loyal CorelDRAW users to spend around $200 once every 2 years to upgrade, what if we can make them spend $200 EVERY YEAR? We'll double our revenue! Hookers and blow for everyone!!!"

I can sort of see paying $99 per year to always have the latest version of the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite. But $198 per year for, at best, a paltry level of upgrades and often unstable software is not an acceptable proposition. I strongly doubt Corel will be growing its customer base at all with that arrangement. The only thing they appear to be doing is angering existing users, many of which are long time users. Those users will likely stick with the old software they have as long as it keeps running. If forced to buy something new they might shift to something else.

One thing that would really hurt Corel is if one of the lower cost rival drawing programs became really good at opening or importing CDR files. Inkscape can open CDR files but isn't real great at it. But it's better than nothing. I've had to use Inkscape to open ancient CDR files made in CorelDRAW 5 or earlier since the recent versions of CorelDRAW will not do it.

visual800 said:
and this kids is why you dont need to register any software or accept any updates....actually not registering the software would keep them from trying to send updates.....I get so damn sick of getting on here and telling you guys to stop updating stuff. YOU DO NOT NEED UPDATES if your stuff is running good and its being productive dont update it

Unless you're using a copy of CorelDRAW X5 or earlier you MUST at least activate the software, which usually also involves signing into a Corel user account.

Given the history of CorelDRAW releases, installing updates is actually a good idea. This goes way back to versions released in the 1990's. The initial release would always have some kind of issue with it. Most versions of CorelDRAW had at least one or two substantial updates and maybe even a "Hot Fix" or two spread over the course of a year or 18 months. The last bug fix would usually leave that version of CorelDRAW operating in a pretty stable condition. Then the next upgrade would be released and we would repeat the cycle all over again.

Another reason for installing updates is the threat of malware. Some pieces of malware use vulnerabilities discovered in applications as a path to gain control of or take down a computer system. I remember a few of Adobe's applications having to be updated over this.

WildWestDesigns

Another reason for installing updates is the threat of malware. Some pieces of malware use vulnerabilities discovered in applications as a path to gain control of or take down a computer system. I remember a few of Adobe's applications having to be updated over this.

This could also be platform specific. Especially if a platform is known to keep legacy APIs around. That chips away at the incentive to move away from those APIs by the software programmers, thus bugs or malware are able to do some nasty things as well.

It isn't always the case, but it is likely enough to be a "usual suspect" anyway.

Jim Hill

I have a few thousand images created using CorelDraw X-8 and they are all vectors and if is there another graphic program that I could use to open and edit and transfer these image into.
I use window 10 and have a Roland SP Printer.

I have not subscribed to the new CorelDraw monthly payment plan and I would like to move to another graphic program because I do not trust CorelDraw any longer.

Thanks Jim

unclebun

You could export all your files as ai or pdf and then subscribe to Adobe's monthly subscription and use Illustrator...

CentralSigns

Just to make things clearer. My shop has only one computer. All the upgrades (X5, X7, and X8 were registered when purchased. Since X7 they have to validate the install. X7 and X8 have updates that are installed on opening. There is always a pop up window in X8 that tries to get you to upgrade. My belief is the popup window receives data from corel on every opening.

After many arguments with Corel Tech Support/Sales (yes you go to sales before support when you call support) they have resolved the issue. They went into the registry and deleted a piece the data for Corel X8. Then I went to the registration page where I had created a login when I registered the software at purchase and logged in. This page must share data with the program and suddenly it all worked again.

I lost 3 days production with this deceptive BS that Corel just tried. If I decide to upgrade software in the future I will be going to go to adobe Illy. With all the hassle I went through Corel on this issue they will, never ever get a penny from me again. I am going to do whatever it takes to migrate all my customer files into a file format that is compatible with illy. Even if it takes weeks to convert them..

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Jim Hill said:
I have not subscribed to the new CorelDraw monthly payment plan and I would like to move to another graphic program because I do not trust CorelDraw any longer.

Not many applications have CDR import/export file support. Inkscape is one of the few low-cost or no-cost drawing programs I know of that will do it (to varying degrees of success). Adobe Illustrator can open some CDR files. But I prefer exporting AI files from Corel for Illustrator to open.

Affinity Designer is often mentioned as a Corel alternative, but it will not open/import CorelDRAW files. It will open Illustrator PDF files, EPS, SVG and Freehand FH files from version 9 to 11.

CentralSigns said:
After many arguments with Corel Tech Support/Sales (yes you go to sales before support when you call support) they have resolved the issue. They went into the registry and deleted a piece the data for Corel X8. Then I went to the registration page where I had created a login when I registered the software at purchase and logged in. This page must share data with the program and suddenly it all worked again.

Yeah that user name and password login thing is a pretty critical item for newer versions of CorelDRAW. It pretty much doesn't let you buy upgrades for an existing version without the login. IIRC I think a user has to log in to be able to download various maintenance patches, hot fixes, etc for an existing version. Plus all the clipart, fonts, etc are download-able now and I'm pretty sure a Corel user must be logged in to do any of that.

WildWestDesigns

I lost 3 days production with this deceptive BS that Corel just tried. If I decide to upgrade software in the future I will be going to go to adobe Illy. With all the hassle I went through Corel on this issue they will, never ever get a penny from me again. I am going to do whatever it takes to migrate all my customer files into a file format that is compatible with illy. Even if it takes weeks to convert them..

It is quite possible that you could have similar issues with Adobe. The thing is the big ones (yes some are bigger then others and that only compounds the issue) tend to be more aggressive in this regard as they believe that they are coming from a position of higher bargaining power.

If I am reading your situation correctly, the nice thing is, you could almost migrate to anything that would work with your workflow. It doesn't sound like you have much of an issue with outside file formats as from everything that you have mentioned before, it seems like you were only using DRAW and didn't have to already have Adobe.

The one thing that always makes me leary of Adobe is what they tried to see what they could do with those that were getting their photography package and it's pricing. That could easily be done with anything else in their suite of programs. Just something to consider, especially if you have the freedom to choose really any other program that you could go with, just so long as you make sure that it will work efficiently with your workflow. You may still have to go with Adobe, it is what it is, but just something to think about.

With whatever program you decide to go with, I would for sure try to have a copy of your future files in a more readily readable/editable file format along with their respective master format. With more and more programs going the subscription route, the user's bargaining position is getting less and less. It's not going to be perfect, but it does allow for more room to scratch and burp then just having only their proprietary master file formats. Especially if you think you are going to be dealing with that particular can of worms within the relatively near future.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
WildWestDesigns said:
It is quite possible that you could have similar issues with Adobe. The thing is the big ones (yes some are bigger then others and that only compounds the issue) tend to be more aggressive in this regard as they believe that they are coming from a position of higher bargaining power.

Any user of Adobe Creative Cloud must be logged in to that account in order to install and use the software. But that login part only "phones home" intermittently. If you lose Internet access the software will still work, but certain features will be inaccessible. Always-on Internet access is required for the Adobe Fonts service to work. Obviously users can't sync content between devices via the Creative Cloud folder without Internet access. The Creative Cloud front panel app gets updated around every couple or so weeks. I usually have to re-log back into my account about once a month.

Jim Hill

I am thinking about trying Inkscape and after using CorelDraw for the past 15 years I was wondering what the learning curve with Inkscape was like.

This year has been crazy between Corel going to subscription based and Roland Printers making some printers legacy printer meaning they will no longer provide service for the printers which was not a big deal for me because I service my own printer but then also telling me they would no longer sell me the parts either!

I guess it's a good thing the parts are available from other sources around the world.

Jim

WildWestDesigns

I am thinking about trying Inkscape and after using CorelDraw for the past 15 years I was wondering what the learning curve with Inkscape was like.

As a Linux user, I really like Inkscape, but for printers (people, well and the equipment), Inkscape has some cons. It's main format is SVG, which is vector graphics for the web and applications. Color with regard to printing is going somewhat different. You'll either need to use an extension that can handle that conversion, use a RIP that can work with SVGs (probably have to save as plain SVGs (less XML markup)) or use another program like Scribus that can also convert it's color for printing use.

Now, while it does have a little bit more robust font handling compared to Corel (for some things), it is limited to what can be manipulated with CSS (again, remember SVG is a web vector format).

I like the SVG format, I like how Inkscape handles it (much better then with commercial programs) as I am able to store information from extensions that don't really affect the resulting viewable SVG, but would otherwise be removed from the SVG is saved in Ai/Draw (don't know about Affinity as I have no experience with that one). Because of that, able to have very robust extensions for my embroidery machines, JS manipulation for PWA/hybrid apps.

These cons could be solved if Inkscape was to adopt their own file format, say .ink for the helluva it, but I doubt that would happen. Most of your open source vector editors are going to be using the SVG format. For cutters, it's not a problem at all. For printing, it does need some work arounds.

WildWestDesigns

Any user of Adobe Creative Cloud must be logged in to that account in order to install and use the software. But that login part only "phones home" intermittently. If you lose Internet access the software will still work, but certain features will be inaccessible. Always-on Internet access is required for the Adobe Fonts service to work. Obviously users can't sync content between devices via the Creative Cloud folder without Internet access. The Creative Cloud front panel app gets updated around every couple or so weeks. I usually have to re-log back into my account about once a month.

Ok, not really where I was going with what quote you responded with that to.

That's a whole other 6 pack of can of worms.