• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creases in Transfer Tape - Seal Ultra 62

johnnysigns

I'm mounting the tape to Adhesive Backed Vinyl w/out kraft paper and I can't run more than 8ft before I get creases in the media. I'm not a fan of this laminator in any shape, form or fashion, but it's what I've got to work with.

54" media
54" roll of tape

I'm prefeeding the tape through the machine, after alignment I'm pinching the rollers down onto the media w/ a heavy straight edge as close to the rollers as possible so everything should pinch nice and evenly. (Illustration below)

I'm going to noodle w/ the tension I've got on the rollers now.

Any feedback?

Attachments

• Laminator_Issue.jpg
    Laminator_Issue.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 77

Bob Cornett

I've been running an 62 Ultra for 3 years, I use a 3" X 4' PVC pipe filled with sand (you get a nice workout with that). I also have pretty high tension on both brakes, so much so that I've bought 3 replacement brake assy's in 3 years at $350 ea. Also you must keep pressure on the weighted roller on top or the laminate will fold under.

I run about 200 yards a month through this laminator and like it just fine.

johnnysigns

The top brake is very taught normally. I just loosened it and ran a few feet and all it did was add other problems so I'll go back and retighten that. after the initial pinch everything is fine, once I begin running I slowly see the media bunching up on the control panel side of the laminator until I get a crease.

I'm going to call Seal now.

Checkers

I'm not familiar with the machine, so this is just a guess. However, any number of issues can cause problems. Tension, alignment and even the way the transfer tape is cut at the factory or distributor can cause issues, which I think could be the problem here.
If the tape is not cut perfectly straight and properly aligned when fed through the machine, it can start to "walk" after a few feet of laminating, causing creases.

Checkers

johnnysigns

Seal walked me through tensioning the side I'm having problems with. I did some test runs and it's improved, but it's not gone. My concern isn't this mounting job as much as it is H2 wrap I've got to lam in a few days where I'd Ideally like to run that guy in as little pieces as possible.

Thanks for the input fellas.