• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating a profile with Versaworks, i1Profiler & Babelcolor

danjuan

Hi

I'm using 3rd party inks with my Versacamm vs-640i, although prints are ok I find it impossible to match my screen colors.

Tools that I have at my disposal:
i1pro2
iprofiler,
Babelcolor Patch Patchtool (Trial)
Coloris (which uses Argyll CMS)

I understand I need to limit the single color inks first in Versaworks by printing a print chart with CMYK all at 100% and read it with the i1Pro2.

To read the chart I have been opening it up in iprofiler and selecting Measure Chart, I then choose 4 rows with 21 columns and read the chart and here's where I get stuck.

I understand that I need to get the highest Chroma values for CMYK which you can find in iprofiler or Babelcolor (If you save the file as a .cmxf file and load it into Babelcolor's Patch Tool), this I can do.. well if this is what you need to do.

I've also read once you get the highest Chroma value, you need to find the Density / Delta E, I don't understand this part.

I've read 2 ways of doing this, firstly ignore the highest Chroma value and just select the 100% swatch and go down the list until the delta E is around the 1.0. i.e. If I select the 100% swatch and go down I only get to 95% and the delta difference is 1.58

The second was to select the swatch with the highest Chroma value and then go down the swatches until the delta E is 1.0. i.e. the highest chroma value for C is 65% if I select the next one down, the delta is 1.54 difference.

To me the second option makes sense, if I select the highest Chroma values for CMYK I get (according to Babelcolor):

C: 65%
M: 55%
Y: 100% (seems strange)
K: 100% (again strange)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

danjuan

Y and K you're supposed to limit the cluster at the end of the curve.

What does that mean? I'm only just getting started with color. I've been trying for so long and read a lot of posts/articles relating to it then I run out of time and have to move on to.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
you have to look at a dot plot. when the dots get close to near the end of the curve that's where you restrict it.
Or if the dots start bunching up and even if 1 dot goes backwards, that's where you restrict it.

danjuan

Hi Pauly

Please see attached my dot plot, what do you think?

Also in the linked video here:

It mentions to change to the density control only preset under the Quality tab / Color Management in Queue A when printing the patches generated with iProfiler for instance, should you use the density control only preset when printing the CMYK 0-100% patches?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 13.42.44.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 13.42.44.png
    824.3 KB · Views: 276
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 13.42.51.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 13.42.51.png
    824.6 KB · Views: 269
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 13.42.57.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 13.42.57.png
    825.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 13.43.03.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 13.43.03.png
    822.7 KB · Views: 288

danjuan

OK, so it turns out that it doesn;t matter about using the density control only preset at that stage as they print out exactly the same with using that or any other preset.

danjuan

OK

So leaving the levels as they were I limited the total ink to 200%, I then created 3600 patches in i1profiler and printed them using density mode, read the patches and created the profile (All done with CMYK).

Do I still leave the color management as density, it didn't mention on the video or on Roland's PDF in versaworks when I come to print?

Also, should I have profiled it in RGB as I keep seeing everyone recommends printing in RGB?

timkaz227

I just went through all of this with i1profiler w/ my Roland for the first time. After you have created your profile, select the color management setting of your choosing. 90% of the time I use U.S. Pre-Press. I find this works best for color matching. If I'm not trying to match colors but want a little more pop I'll use Max Impact or Sign & Display.

Also, Have you used your i1Profiler to calibrate your monitor?

danjuan

Hi timkaz227

Yes, calibrated the monitor with i1profiler.

As far as I'm aware, by selecting Max impact or U.S.Pre-Press you're ignoring the profile you've just created?