• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating FILM POSITIVES on Large Format Printer

RBDesign

We use an hp5100 Postscript laser printer. It prints on letter - A3 size paper. I use translucent "paper" that has very minimal shrinking (and very cheap, about .12 a sheet of 11.5x17.5). We buy the paper from paper supplier at 23X35 and cut it down to 11.5x17.5 and 8.5x11. We screen print up to 6 colors on t-shirts and other substrates with no problems. With the Postscript printer we can print spot color separations with halftones as well as full color, cmyk separations and get great results directly from Illustrator. We have a roland but we think it would be more of a hassle to use the Roland and be switching papers back and forth. I believe we paid like $1400 brand new about 10 years ago and it is still kicking butt. Oh yes, it's also used for office duties as well. I would definitely go this route again if I had to start all over again.

Gerald Printing

Gerald Printing
Hands down the way to go. We use an all black system with refillable cartridges - dye based ink. We use an Epson 7800. (You can find them used - 7880, 9800 9800 or 7800)

I wouldn't think of printing them any other way. Once we switched to this system there was no more pain on that side of production...ever.

We also use accurip which seems to work very well with the Epson.

I have a question when using the AccuRip system with our Epson. I am set to print Photo Black Ink only. My printer is saying the "light black" cartridge is low. I don't even use that ink. Is there way to change settings so it only uses the T6531 Photo Black cartridge? Also, where can I get these refillable ink cartridges that you use? Our printer is an Epson Stylus Pro 4900. Thank you so much in advance!