• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating ICC Profiles

MGraphics

Hello all,

was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction on some literatue or reference material on creating proper ICC profiles. I have Wasatch and Onyx Production house 7.0... (insert sigh as i know they are out dated....) I just want to have a better understanding of the colour profile side of things so i can tweek and create custom profiles... any input would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Ryan:Canada:

MGraphics

i know but was just seeing if anyone has dowloaded or purchased any kind of literature or manuals on the matter? :)

sfr table hockey

I will try to cover some basics and I am still learning.

The reason to make profiles is most due to not using an original ink that your printer is made for. When you use their ink the profiles they give you make the ink print the industry standard color that you should get. If you use a 3rd party ink that ink will come out in the same volume (for the most part) but may not look like the right color due to it being a different ink. All paint does not cover the same nor does ink.

So when you make a profile you need to print charts (without color correction on) and then read them with a tool like the i1 (which might be discontinued) and that will then look at the ink you printed and alter it if it did not come out looking like the industry standard. So if your magenta was too strong it will tell in the profile to use less of it and more of something else.

So bottom line, if your color is way off when you print due to 3rd party inks, you need profiles made. If the ink is just too heavy you can tweak that in ink limits which reduces the amount of ink in a color.

eye4clr

Things you'll need....
1. spectophotometer. The eyeone is very popular and a great value. BTW, densitometers and colorimeters don't do everything you need then to do given what you've asked for.

2. Either the ability within your RIP or software outside the RIP to make the ICC profile. No RIP company offers the ability to make the ICC for free and external profiling software does a better job than some RIPs have built in (see below).

3. Know and understand the 3-5 steps in the process and the most common mistakes to watch for. Onyx currently has a pretty decent "wizard" style process that's likely to get you good results. Caldera's process is excellent and very approachable by a newbie. Their built in ICC software is also excellent. Wasatch and Flexi, not so much. You'll have to be more on your guard and be better able to troubleshoot with these RIPs.

It's a rough task to take on at first. Once you get the swing of it, you'll wonder (like everyone else that gets this far) why everyone doesn't do it.

Expect to pay $2000-4000 to get setup with hardward/software. A proper consultant/trainer will likely charge $1000-1500 per day for training and expect 2 days to have any comprehension on your part. Paying someone to make profiles for you is sometimes a good fit. But for the vast majority, learning to do it yourself is far more cost effective in the long run. Of course you can stumble through it yourself. Just expect to take more time and have more frustration. With enough patience and tenacity, you can be an expert like the one I play on TV ;)

bbeens

Ryan-

Regarding profiling with Wasatch, see the following link -> http://wasatch.com/profiling_with_pss_tech_note.html <-

If you have any questions feel free to post here once you get started. Profiling is not terribly difficult to get 'reasonable' results. The tricky part is getting great results. My suggestion is to be scientific about things, only change one thing at a time, keep all the iterative prints for review, etc. It will take time, media, and patience.

Bryan