• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating Panels & Tiling in Software to send to subs

TheSnowman

I have had a few occasions where I needed to sub some stuff out and I needed to tile some items that would be printed, then shipped to me. I currently have a customer that has an 8' X 8' image, and they want me to have (4) 4X4's printed. I was going to sub this out, but I need to figure out how to take that image and have it set up correctly for when I send this to the printer. Can anyone point me to tutorial on this? I'm normally using Illustrator, but if it can't be done in there, I can probably hack my way through Photoshop enough to do it.

If anyone can point me in any direction I'd appreciate it. In the meantime, I'm back searching on YouTube.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
The way I do it when we're subbing out:
- Place guidelines at the X/Y coordinates where I want them. For your example, I'd set mine at 48.25 and 48.25 (allowing for a bleed) and split the art there with the cleaver, and delete what's outside. That should give you the bottom left. Save it as Panel 1 (or something similar).
- Open original image (or hit Undo as needed) and repeat, with the guideline at 48.25/48. That gives you the top left.
- Repeat with guidelines at 48/48.25. That's bottom right.
- Repeat with guidelines at 48/48. That's top right.

That's how I do it, anyway. I'd love a quicker way if someone has one (not that this way takes a long time or anything, but I love learning new tricks).

oksigns

Photoshop has the slice tool and in InDesign I like to treat each panel as a "page", utilizing the bleed for the overlap

jfiscus

Rap Master
Put guides in illustrator. 1" overlap. (so one at 47.5 & one at 48.5")
Put a rectangle in and use it as clipping masks to make 2 or 4 separate art files to send to your print vendor.

Personally, when we print other peoples' artwork here, I request they leave it alone and I use my RIP software to tile it appropriately.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Put guides in illustrator. 1" overlap. (so one at 47.5 & one at 48.5")
Put a rectangle in and use it as clipping masks to make 2 or 4 separate art files to send to your print vendor.

Personally, when we print other peoples' artwork here, I request they leave it alone and I use my RIP software to tile it appropriately.

My only disagreement is when I want the panels to be in exactly one spot- though I can always say "I want it split (here)" if the printer's good with that.

(Edit)... I've also had a couple of printers who removed the masks and didn't print the damned things correctly!

TheSnowman

I don't get into photoshop much, but this worked good for me, only because I don't need an overlap since this is a flatbed print, and not a wrap. Would still like to find a quick way to do it automatically, but with the guides, I could probably figure out how to do an overlap without too much trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMaDnbbwwvI