• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating registration marks in illustrator (to be cut from vinyl)

bob-le-bob

I've asked this question elsewhere, but never really got an answer if it was possible.

I would like to be able to cut some vinyl (using illustrator and cutting master (with ce7000) and have registration marks cut into the design so that I can layer that vinyl + registration marks onto something else which can then go back into the plotter, have those registration marks be read and have another cut done.

Is this possible? Thanks :)

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'm not familiar w/ cutting master but I've done it before w/ Summa marks using the Summa plugin. Are there any plugins available for marks for your software?

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I really don't know how else to describe what I want to do.

cutting master/illustrator will only let me print registration marks. I want to cut them from vinyl so it can go back in for a second pass and the cutter know where things are?
I use Cutting Master with my Graphtec plotter. It can't print anything. It just cuts. If I have multiple layers I sometimes cut little squares that are in the same place on all the layers so I can line up the vinyl during application.

bob-le-bob

I use Cutting Master with my Graphtec plotter. It can't print anything. It just cuts. If I have multiple layers I sometimes cut little squares that are in the same place on all the layers so I can line up the vinyl during application.

This isn't for lining up vinyl by hand.

Cutting master plugin for illustrator will create registration marks that can be printed so the plotter knows where your image is, I want those marks to be vinyl and not printed.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Let the plugin make the marks and after that change them so that they are cuttable? I would image this to be possible.

ikarasu

Make the marks in cutting master. I would do a reverse mark.. So it's black on the outside and white on the inside L shape. It'll create a layer that's locked... Unlock it, copy the registration marks to a new layer....

Then relock and hide the cutting master layers and just cut it like you normally would. Then for your follow up cuts, delete the copied layer, Un hide the cutting master layers and it should try to read them.

Sounds Complicated from all of that... But it's really just a copy paste and it's easy.

FactorDesign

Graphtec Cutting Master plugin for Illustrator works perfectly. The problem we have is that any time there's even a tiny update to illustrator it breaks the plugins, so I often have to keep multiple copies installed or disable updates. When we want to update the 'safe' install to the latest version compatible with the plugin, we have to do a full uninstall and reinstall, as it has some sort of permissions error. Often times I have to boot into safe mode and remove the plugin folder manually because windows will claim I don't have permission, even as admin.

bob-le-bob

Make the marks in cutting master. I would do a reverse mark.. So it's black on the outside and white on the inside L shape. It'll create a layer that's locked... Unlock it, copy the registration marks to a new layer....

Then relock and hide the cutting master layers and just cut it like you normally would. Then for your follow up cuts, delete the copied layer, Un hide the cutting master layers and it should try to read them.

Sounds Complicated from all of that... But it's really just a copy paste and it's easy.

Thats exactly what I want thanks :)