• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CS6, has it already been made obsolete?

petesign

GRRRR. Spent a ton of money updating to cs6 less than a year ago, didn't like the idea of cloud and a subscription... guess it finally caught me. Went to open a .eps file, and the joyous message that can't open file, was created by a newer version popped up. I HATE YOU ADOBE!

that is all.

TheSnowman

Yea, if you have a mac you can normally work around it and save it. Even if you don't, a lot of times, you can open EPS or AI files in Adobe Reader and resave them as a PDF and you are off to the races. It does seem like someone would make something aftermarket, that could open a CDR or AI file from any version and save it backwards for us.

p3

File > Place

This is what I do as I operate on CS6 and my coworker is on the cloud. Works fine.

p3

If I try opening - I still get that pop up that you're talking about - warning me that things may not display properly but it does display right. I have ran into issues once with art that was off of the art board that won't display in older versions. The person that creates the original file needs to make sure the artboard is the same size that they are actually working - that nothing extends into the gray.

To this day, I still save everything as Illustrator 8 .ai / .eps just so no one runs into issues - also helps with gradients in flexi and multiple programs.

WildWestDesigns

I

To this day, I still save everything as Illustrator 8 .ai / .eps just so no one runs into issues - also helps with gradients in flexi and multiple programs.

This is really what people should be doing. I'll either save in 3 or 8, but what some people fail to realize is that what is the industry standard for one industry is not the industry standard for another. Ironically the program that I use is directly interfaced with Corel, so I'm sure everyone can just imagine the issues with opening a CS 6 file in x6 could be (CS5 files are fine, don't know about 5.5 though).

I don't know why someone would bother saving in EPS if they aren't going to save in a legacy format. To me, that's part of the point. Has Adobe made it more cumbersome to save in legacy formats in 5.5 and on? I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm just surprised that the creator that saved the file that the OP got had the fore thought to save as an EPS, but not in a legacy format.