• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer doesn't want to pay for a logo but doesn't have anything in mind

J

john1

Hey everyone, I have a customer who i am meeting with soon and have a question on how to approach this.

The customer currently wants to get a simple 3-5 page website made which i do on the side. I asked if they had a logo and they said they did not. Now if they aren't up for getting a full out logo design, What do you typically do since you will need some sort of design to represent their company other than just a basic font stating their name?

They said they had a box truck lettered years ago that they may have a photo of to show me what that company did for them but they don't have anything on their cards. I guess i could tell them it will be $x to recreate what was on their old box truck from the photo and then how much for a fresh logo right?

I'm just trying to be prepared for anything when meeting them which will be within the next 24 hours.

Thanks!

WrapperX

Your customer doesn't sound like they take THEIR business seriously. Who, in the business world, doesn't have some sort of image/logo? Tell them your simple web design will come with a logo design and figure that into your web design time. Explain to them the IMPORTANCE for having a logo - which is really just a consitant image or font or something that people will see and remember. It doesn't need to be iconic like the Apple Logo or AT&T globe - but think about it this way. When they, Apple and AT&T, set out to create their companies years ago. All they had was simple image that identified their company. Low and behold the icon is now legendary as a symbol of their business. And EVERYONE knows what the image represents.

J

john1

I just got off the phone with the customer and they said "it's a real easy design i can draw and give to you to go off of"

I guess at this point they might be more interested in spending $75-100 to recreate it then a few hundred on a fresh design. We will see

J

john1

of course, It's just really fun creating fresh logos to me, I guess it all goes hand in hand though with getting a sale. I mean i'd rather recreate something than not get a job at all

"Deposit Please"

I'd be interested to see what real easy is. Usually when a customer says it's real easy, it usually means they want it for free or close to nothing for it. Just don't give your work away.

mark galoob

not everybody needs a logo...its nice and it gives a measure of professionalism, but is not necessary. writing their business name in a unique readable font, and maybe shadowing it are all many small businesses want or really need.

mark galoob

J

john1

True that Mark, I met with the customer tonight since evenings were their only free time and am recreating a old logo they had. Super cool people and they understood value of signage and cut me a check no problem

Mosh

True that Mark, I met with the customer tonight since evenings were their only free time and am recreating a old logo they had. Super cool people and they understood value of signage and cut me a check no problem

Lucky you...sounded like it ws going to be a PITA!

Edserv

If they don't have the $ to invest in their brand, and (maybe) if they're starting to be cheap at the beginning, you may be best to recommend them to another company.

But sometimes, there is "low hanging fruit" if you have the time to develop systems for these people. Once in a while, they buy. "Mr. Customer, seems like you're uncertain about your brand or logo. We offer a very affordable brand "consultation" session for only $97. In about an hour, we'll develop a concept for you to move forward."

(Insert your dollar amount for the $97 above,) but hey, at least you can either get a small sale or call it quits without looking bad. (make sure you collect the fee UP FRONT!)