• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut files and HPLatex 64 Cutter

Vector Vinyl

Does anyone make cut files separate than print files for any reason? I’ve had this question for the last two years after upgrading to a 700w/HP 64 cutter. The printer is great but i struggle with the cutter.

I’ve been using my summa D120 for 7 years and i love it. I’ve replaced half the parts and even spliced sensor wires to keep it working. Because i was originally self taught and didn’t have Flexi, tutorials online showed me how to make a separate print file and then AI cut file to be used with summacut. Later on i learned the barcode process (and i’m sure there’s tricks i don’t know) but when it comes to certain jobs like cutting labels it seems wasteful to me. By making the cut file separate and using 4 scan points, i can really utilize the whole printable area which is really valuable when printing thousands of labels.

Is anyone else familiar with this process? HPs 64 latex cutter seems to block you from cutting any way besides with the barcode. Even when i go to OPOS parameters and set it to “mark” it still wants the barcode line, even if there is no barcode in the cut file. I can even get it to work with summacut besides this issue.

I know this isn’t the way most people do things, but it really does save a lot of material and i have years of cut files made for decals i print often that would suck to remake. Let me know if this sounds doable to anyone. Is there another program i don’t know about? A setting i overlooked? The manual seems to make it look like you can cut this way but doesn’t say how. I know the HP latex cutter is essentially a summa but it’s hard to tell what they changed specifically. (I have other gripes about the cutter and how it responds to Flexi but this is long enough already).

Stacey K

I like making signs
I don't make separate cut files. I find the HP and Summa to work pretty well. I don't understand how you are saving material by not using the barcode. Do you mean that you can put lots of different files together instead of printing separate files with separate barcodes? I often print many files as one big file but just putting the artwork from several jobs together to save on materials.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Have you tried with Winplot? Do you have the touch screen model or keypad?

Is your flexi a limited edition? Otherwise you can just add it as a Summa and have the full summa setup.

Last edited:

Vector Vinyl

Ya Tried with Winplot. the new HP latex cutter will work with it but the cutter itself won’t work without the barcode. always errors out asking for the bottom barcode line.

Vector Vinyl

I don't make separate cut files. I find the HP and Summa to work pretty well. I don't understand how you are saving material by not using the barcode. Do you mean that you can put lots of different files together instead of printing separate files with separate barcodes? I often print many files as one big file but just putting the artwork from several jobs together to save on materials.
Oh hell ya it can. so when Flexi prints barcodes it forces all that white space in between each print file. I can print tons of different files all within like less than an inch of each other. Far enough where the cutter won’t scan the wrong mark but saves like 3/4 inches per sheet. Let’s say you’re printing 24” tall prints on a 150’ roll, that saves you a ton, especially over the space of a year. On top of that. The stupid barcode files get messed up if you don’t have enough space in front of the barcode. not just behind it. So it has to scan like 8+ marks/barcode line areas perfectly. With using just the four marks it doesn’t need to scan the bottom line at all, as long as it scans the four marks it can cut just as detailed prints no problem.

On top of that, in a 54” roll, barcode needs 50” minimum to make the barcode and lines. the settings won’t allow you to go larger than that per file. With this method i can print labels all the way up to 53.3” or so including the .118” marks. Again. that’s another 3” which is a ton of labels if you’re printing 10k of the same one using the whole roll.

I’m assuming it’s just an outdated way of doing things. Illustrator had a plug-in that would add those four marks and bottom line for you (not the barcode) that taught me that process before i got flexi. Summa reads it fine as long as i don’t activate the barcode setting. It’s set automatically on HPs cutters version though and i can’t turn it off.

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs
Oh hell ya it can. so when Flexi prints barcodes it forces all that white space in between each print file. I can print tons of different files all within like less than an inch of each other. Far enough where the cutter won’t scan the wrong mark but saves like 3/4 inches per sheet. Let’s say you’re printing 24” tall prints on a 150’ roll, that saves you a ton, especially over the space of a year. On top of that. The stupid barcode files get messed up if you don’t have enough space in front of the barcode. not just behind it. So it has to scan like 8+ marks/barcode line areas perfectly. With using just the four marks it doesn’t need to scan the bottom line at all, as long as it scans the four marks it can cut just as detailed prints no problem.

On top of that, in a 54” roll, barcode needs 50” minimum to make the barcode and lines. the settings won’t allow you to go larger than that per file. With this method i can print labels all the way up to 53.3” or so including the .118” marks. Again. that’s another 3” which is a ton of labels if you’re printing 10k of the same one using the whole roll.

I’m assuming it’s just an outdated way of doing things. Illustrator had a plug-in that would add those four marks and bottom line for you (not the barcode) that taught me that process before i got flexi. Summa reads it fine as long as i don’t activate the barcode setting. It’s set automatically on HPs cutters version though and i can’t turn it off.
Ohhh....that's actually quite interesting! I see why you do it now LOL!! Thank you for explaining it!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
At least HP claims you still have all these options to choose from for HP Cutter PLUS (touch screen).
OPOS should give you the marks only.
1710928534824.png

1710928563054.png