• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Cut Film On Smaller Table

bigben

It's a silly question but I would like to have some idea on how you would manage this.

I have a 48in x 96in work table with cutting mat. I have to cut pieces size of 50in X 102in of a 60in window film roll (color tint film). Obviously, my table is too small. I don't have the room to built a 60in X 120in table.

I have a summa vinyl cutter that can take the 60in roll, but I'm not sure it could cut the size accurately. I also have a roland versa cut trimmer, but it's only 100in and the size I need is 102in.

How would you manage this? Thank you.

henryz

Why don't you try a paper pattern on your Summa to see if its accurate. Put a larger sheet like a 5x10 of substrate over your 4x8 mdf that wont scratch your film.

bigben

Why don't you try a paper pattern on your Summa to see if its accurate. Put a larger sheet like a 5x10 of substrate over your 4x8 mdf that wont scratch your film.

Thank you for your suggestions. For the accuracy of the cutter, my concern is the material with the liner is only 0.002in. So since it's thinner than regular vinyl, I will have to calibrate the Y feeding and I don't know if it could cut just the material without the liner or if I could use the flex-cut feature. I've cut 120in long frosted vinyl in the past and since the material is thinner, I was missing maybe 1 or 2 inches at the end.

For the option of installing a 5x10 sheet over my current table, it's not an option (but was my first idea). I don't have the room to do this and I don't have a garage. My last option for this would be to put a 5x10 mdf on a folding table and use my neighbor garage that I can not have access at any time. So I would like to find another option than this.

printhog

Do you have a clear wall area you can use? A set of old fashioned "sign monkeys" and a sheet of 5x10 might work to make an inclined work table. Sign monkeys are just vertically inclined 2x4s that lean against the wall and hold the sheets at working height. drilled every 6 inches or so on the 2 in side to accommodate thick dowels that support your board. The top attaches to the wall with a cheap hinge for stability, the bottom rests on the floor. You can djust the angle to what's comfortable for your use and the dowels adjust the sheet height as well.

To work with film on them you'd tape the films top edge.

When space is limited, go vertical!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

bigben

Can't you just cut it out on your table by rolling or folding the excess that doesn't fit on the table?

This is what I'm doing right now. I was just wondering if there was another solution.

Do you have a clear wall area you can use? A set of old fashioned "sign monkeys" and a sheet of 5x10 might work to make an inclined work table. Sign monkeys are just vertically inclined 2x4s that lean against the wall and hold the sheets at working height. drilled every 6 inches or so on the 2 in side to accommodate thick dowels that support your board. The top attaches to the wall with a cheap hinge for stability, the bottom rests on the floor. You can djust the angle to what's comfortable for your use and the dowels adjust the sheet height as well.

To work with film on them you'd tape the films top edge.

When space is limited, go vertical!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I really like the idea, but I don't have a clear wall area. I don't even have a 10ft long wall without a window.

Johnny Best

Just add a 12"x96" piece to your table and a 24"x48" piece to the other side.
You are just cutting 10" off one edge and roll out the 102" and cut that off.
No need to get 2x4s or do it vertical and worry about getting it rolled out and getting creases.

bigben

Just add a 12"x96" piece to your table and a 24"x48" piece to the other side.
You are just cutting 10" off one edge and roll out the 102" and cut that off.
No need to get 2x4s or do it vertical and worry about getting it rolled out and getting creases.

I can't do that. I don't have the room to do this. If I had to room, I would just modify my current table top.

Dallas225

Buy a filmhandler.. they come up to 72" wide and you mount them ontop of a ladder and it cuts film beautifully - we have two of them for on site film install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chasez

Buy a filmhandler.. they come up to 72" wide and you mount them ontop of a ladder and it cuts film beautifully - we have two of them for on site film install

We have two of these as well.. very handy. But I wouldn't worry about cutting the piece down, cut it off the roll inch larger than the window, tack to the wall, remove the liner, wet and fold, install and unfold down the window or if you can depending on the liner, back roll the material onto the window. We do large vertical sheets all the time with window film and use the back roll method all the time.

Chaz