• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Picture and Print (Newbie)

MCD4x4

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to print/cut a picture with a white background. I'm having a problem with it. If I follow the same steps that I have been with one color pictures it doesn't work. When I try to use Contour Cut, it's square because of the background. Any help would surly be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian NY

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Doubtful that you will get it to autotrace. You should be able to lay down a cutpath by hand with your Bezier pen tool.

Do you know how to use the Bezier pen tool?

MCD4x4

Hi,

No, I never used it. I know to click it and highlight the image, bitmap-vectorize-bezier. By doing this I get the outline but the inside is getting messed up.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You should click the pen tool and lay down some lines and curves on a blank page for practice. It takes a little practice but drawing your vectors in and doing a little touch up editing will result in a smooth, fast cutting path that will please you and make you wonder why you ever depended on autotracing.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If the background of your image is white, or at least all the same color, then do Bitmap->Make Transparent... You can mess with the Tolerance setting which represents the deviation from the selected color quantified somehow. If there's holes in your bitmap and you want to cut them as well you can use 'Select Similar' which will select the target color anywhere it's found in the bitmap.

Once you have made the background transparent, the Effects->Contour Cut will contour the transparency mask and not just the rectangle that is the bitmap.