• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cut print reflective decal alignment issues with Graphtec 8600 and onyx 21

buzzgraphics

I'm about to start punching babies...
Printing on 3m 780 reflective (epson s80600), laminating with avery 1360. Now 75% of the time when this goes into the graphtec for printcut everything comes out useable. BUT SOMETIMES.... it just decides that a half inch off is close enough. Today is one of those days. For some reason I cannot for the life of me get it to cut in the same place twice. For funzies I tried cutting the same piece (original print) three different times to see if it would ever cut it correctly and got three different cut lines. Printed a new piece and crossed my fingers, it cut all the but the last 16 inches perfect (segmented marks, piece is about 6 feet long). On the last set of marks it just decided to not find them, so I manually set the plotter on the marks and told it to do its job - last chunk was a 3/8s of an inch off the rest of the cut. So now I'm hurling expletives at all the inanimate objects in the area and begging my installer to make magic happen and splice together something that will work so I can get this tow truck out of my shop.

I'm not a new guy, been doing this for 20 years, first 15 with flexi and the last 5 with onyx, all with graphtec. Problem usually only shows up on 3m 780. Machine is reading the marks, and I don't have problems with anything else so I'm inclined to believe that the problem isn't the graphtec, I tend to lean towards it being something to do with onyx as I have had other issues with their cut print tech (learned the hard way that their step and repeat option with cut print is trash, especially on long runs). I have called both onyx and graphtec about the issue in the past and just got the usual finger pointing and firmware questions. But I've about had it with this nonsense.

So has anyone else had this problem? what did you do to solve it? Do I need to give up on onyx or graphtec? I like both outside of a couple of specific problems (such as this), but am not opposed to switching it up if that's the problem.
thanks.

Snydo

Have you tried putting Scotch tape on the crop marks? I've only ever had to use it on chrome and reflective and it works most of the time.